Immortal - Pure Holocaust. Words Cannot Describe. - 100%

BeholdTheWorld, June 18th, 2005

This, right here folks, is how you do your shit. I don't care what genre - Black, Death, Thrash, Speed, whatever the fuck - if you make an album anywhere near the atmospheric, choatic, and sonic excellence of Immortal's 'Pure Holocaust', you've got some extreme talent. 'Pure Holocaust' is currently the best fuckin' album in existence, and I really don't care what anyone says. The feeling you (I) get when listening to the album is beyond words. Not only is it a feeling of extreme coldness and isolation, which is natural considering their tone (more on that later) and lyrics (also more later), you get a feeling of betrayal and evil (both in the best possible ways), and it makes you want to lead an army into an epic battle.

Alot of people talk about Immortals tone, which is very unique, and mood setting. All the low's and mid's have been turned off their amps, you can tell. All you hear is the sonic crunch and icy distortion of the guitars. It only supports the lyrics in the best possible way, and the overall excellence and setting of the album. The lyrics are that of Winter, Frost, Ice and Snow - bringing to mind dark images of Norway during the winter, trolling through an ice-riddled wood. This album completley transports you to another place, in another time, and once the albums done, you come back to reality.

The riffs are one of the best things about the album. They are icy, crunchy, heavily distorted, and often tremolo picked speed demons that sound cryptic and evil. Demonaz is probably my favorite riff writer of all time, after listening to such amazing albums such as this one and 'Sons of Northern Darkness'. The only person I would consider even close to the riff-writing genius that is Demonaz is Seamus DeVille from Slave Whipping Blasphemy. Thats right, not even Euronymous could touch what riffs Demonaz wrote, De Mysteriis or no De Mysteriis. Actually, in my personal opinion, 'Pure Holocaust' fucking crushes De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas on my own personal 'favorites' scale.

Now, let's take a look at some of the best songs from the album.
What a fucking way to start an album! Pure Holocaust opens right up with one of the most unforgiving, cold and best tracks on the album - 'Unsilent Storms in the North Abyss'. It's starts up with an icy riffs and insanley fast drumming that is constant (And even speeds up) throughout the entirety of this song. 'A Sign for the Norse Horse To Ride' is probably the most unforgiving, merciless song on the record, because right from the beggining, we are treated with a sonic barrage of icy guitars and demonic drum pounding, with virtually no room to breathe through the whole song. 'Storming Through Red Clouds and Holocaust Winds' is just...pure...fucking...atmosphere. You get that shiver down your spine, and you will swear you are a frostbitten Epic warrior riding through the very gates of fuckin' Hades. 'As the Eternity Opens' is very Mayhem-ish, only far better than anything Mayhem ever put out, with or without Dead. It has those amazing riffs, and the vocals (more on these later). As the title track slowly fades in, you know this is going to be one hell of a ride. Blast beats, cryptic riffage, venemous vocals, bass? - it's all here. And at it's best. These are only a few of the standout cuts - personally, I think the whole album is excellent.

The vocals are very good here. Not gurgled, like death metal, not shrieked, like some Black Metal (mostly NSBM), it's just venemous growls and snarls, spat onto the microphone. Great vocals, and goes with the (flow?) of the album perfectly, only making it scarier in contrast.

Overall, this is one of the greatest fucking albums of our time, in my opinion. I don't really care what anyone says about 'Powerslave', 'Melissa', or 'The Specter Within' - to me, this is a classic. This is my fucking god. Listen to this album now.