Only worth it for the humor value... - 30%

Svartalf, February 14th, 2007

If you already have one of the earlier editions of Sons of Northern Darkness, the added material on the DVD isn't worth the cash to purchase this album twice. The footage of the concert is not professionally produced. The band gave the soundboard technician a handycam. No, I am not kidding. If you want to know what the Immortal show at BB King's in NYC would have been like if you came late and had to stand at the back, watch the DVD. Evidently, the sound technician didn't think the zoom button was "grim" or "necro" enough to bother giving us a look at what was going on onstage. The band is crowded to the edge of the stage by what must be the headlining act's drum kit, and while the sound is OK, the visuals are not good. The cameraman does mix it up a bit by knocking the camera out of focus for about a minute, giving you a look at what it would have been like if you came late and had to stand at the back and then took off your glasses.

There is one hilarious moment on the DVD, however, when Abbath is doing something onstage (that we can't see because the zoom button isn't "kvlt," I guess) between songs, probably switching guitars, and in response to the crowd's shouting, says, in a growly yet somehow friendly voice, "be patient," as if talking to a class of black metal kindergarteners. Clearly he had momentarily forgotten he was at an Immortal show.

There's also what looks like a complete portfolio of the photo shoot for the album cover, many shots from which anyone who has seen the "Top Ten Most Ridiculous Black Metal Photos of all Time" and its companion will already have seen. Once you've seen the whole set, though, you'll realize that the lists are both in dire need of expansion. Do not drink anything while flipping through these, or it will indeed shoot out of your nose with the force of your laughter.

"This DVD contains raw but rare material" - 30%

MisanthropicBassist, July 4th, 2006

In all honesty, Immortal's a great metal band. One of the first black metal bands I started listening to. Yesterday I bought the digipak Sons of Northern Darkness because I hadn't seen an original copy in awhile, and I thought having the dvd would be cool. The title of this review is a disclaimer on the DVD that is shown before the menu comes up. It could be elaborated as: "This DVD's quality is shit and we should be shot for pricing the CD at an extra dollar for it, but hey, it's Immortal, they're broken-up, you're never gonna see them again live. SO DEAL WITH IT!" Good thing Abbath said they were getting back together.

The DVD sucked. I was extremely unimpressed. It was vile. Disgusting. It looked like something that had just passed through the system of a sick old woman.

Naw I'm kidding, that might be a little too harsh. But not by much.

I'm not really going to say anything more than the other reviews before mine. The camera sucked, being at the same point in the back of the venue the whole time. That's what really got me. I'd agree that it was just a cash grab by Nuclear Blast. They play an ok assortment of songs though. 2 from Damned In Black, 1 from At The Heart Of Winter, but 4 from Sons Of Northern Darkness. I understand it was too support their new album, but having more variety would've been better.

I actually didn't find the sound that bad. What else do you expect for an "official bootleg, cash grabbing, piece of shit DVD that's only microphone was on the camera the concert was captured on?". At least you could hear that frozen tone that has been apart of Immortal since the beginning. The bass was inaudible. The vocals were hard to distinguish i.e. I didn't know when Abbath was speaking English or Norwegian in between songs.

I hope whoever ran the camera, and their families, are hit by a truck driver shipping out Nuclear Blast goods. Then we'll see how much cash they'll be trying to grab with a lawsuit on their hands. No zoom, no movement, when it went out of focus I was PISSED. At the beginning of the concert me and my friend were having trouble deciding who was Abbath and Saroth, considering you couldn't tell the difference in face paint, and you couldn't see their guitar's strings. Shit, I could hardly see Abbath's hands when he was playing Beyond The North Waves.

Oh, and this was greeeaaat...when they were done playing Beyond The North Waves they paused for quite some time, lights off, and then started playing "Withstand the Fall of Time." Whoever was running the camera turned it off AT 2 MINUTES INTO THE SONG. WHO THE FUCK DOES THAT? EVEN FOR A BOOTLEG? A GREAT SONG! CUT! FUCK YOU NUCLEAR BLAST!

Don't waste your money. I'm very thankful I got it for the price that original version would probably go for in stores ($16.00). Download it like the other guy did. If you want to waste your time watching it. I can't wait till Abbath and Horgh get everything up again and I can acually see them live. Now that would be worth whatever the price.

Extremely Disappointing. - 5%

Reebz, March 26th, 2006

I picked this up as part of the Sons of Northern Darkness Deluxe Edition, so at least I got a kick arse cd so soften the blow. But seeing as the additional bonus is being sold separately, I feel I must warn those fans desperate to see Immortal live to stear clear of this travesty.

They are marketing this as an Official Bootleg; Nuclear Blast's way of getting around the fact it is a shit recording. I've seen 3 Immortal bootlegs; Live in Colonge (Pure Holocaust era i think...), a random live show from 2000, and now this one. I'd have to say the Colonge show is the best one of the 3, multiple camera angles, a decent sound if a little muddy (could be the wmv compression), but due to the small venue it is a great close and personal concert. You felt like you were right in there.

When does BB Kings rank... well the sound is better than the random 2000 show, but the video is not. Whilst the 2000 bootleg was from one position, it at least panned and zoomed over the stage. BB Kings is filmed entirely from one single camera with the one single frame, Ed Wood style, right at the back of the club. I used the digital zoom on my DVD player, but alas the details were just not there. As for the sound, its not bad but not great. You'll pick the songs and the words, but its just terribly average.

As a standalone release, i would advise every Immortal fan and metalhead to steer well clear of it, as the BB Kings DVD is a piss poor product.

Now that i think of it, I have 2 other separate clips, both from Inferno 2003. And they are probably the best live recordings i have seen. So as you can see, for live Immortal footage, you are better off scouring the p2p networks for whatever you can find... as this "Official Bootleg" is not even worth stealng.