I-L-L-D-I-S-P-O-S-E-D!!! - 89%

Shadespawn, November 8th, 2009

The boys are back in town!

Believe me when I well you that 2006's "Burn me Wicked" of Denmark's finest Illdisposed is a creepy successor to their last brainchild "1-800-Vindication". This album is quite weird and creates a wholly different atmosphere than any of the other LPs they've put out. Although they have not had any significant label or band member changes in the previous two years, the music has changed significantly. Gone are the most Gothenburg resembling riffs and overall ambiance and gone are the most catchy tunes that were the most obvious. This means that you have to dig a little deeper to find those really special parts of an album, because of the great subliminal potential of "Burn me Wicked".

Right from the start the album leaves no room for any too groovy stuff and gets right to the point with fast drumming and muddy riffing. The songs all seemingly explode into a firework of different energetic parts and pieces, most of the time with a fierce bustle. Even though this is the same band, if you were to listen to this album before you've heard any of the others, you would be surprised with the aggressive turn (cencerning modern day material, of course) the band has taken. When the songs are not busy chasing their own tails, they progress in a very linear manner, only to become really strange at certain bridge or pre-chorus parts. Sometimes these scenarios are created, again, using a lot of great guitar effects and synthesizer breaks. It's safe to assume that these people knew what they were doing when they put out yet another giant in the modern day scene. The hard thing about releasing new stuff is to make it sound modern, true to its style but interesting at the same time. To be more specific, this is exactly what I want to listen to when it's something modern. It has every element that the ever "developing" metal scene is lacking, be it great soli, straightforward songs that accentuate a certain point and of course the good metaphorical lyrics that are well-wrapped and talk about certain aspects of life, be it of a conflict nature, drug-related, whatever you name it. Another great aspect is that the band's voice, Bo Summer, (or subwoofer as he likes to call himself) delivers one of the best vocal duties in his whole career on this LP. He may have cut the clear singing and left it to a friend of the band Mikkel Sandager, but while doing this, he concentrated more on his rasp and guttural duties, which are by all means quite fierce and awe-inspiring. This is the way a vocalist has to present the band's music, with a straight vigor and a good determination.

Having absolutely no fear whatsoever that Illdisposed would ever put out a completely shit album or begin making shitty music to please whoever, I was naturally very pleased when I heard this disc. The last track "Illdispunk'd" is exactly the translation of the band's message to anyone and everyone who makes a bitch out of themselves when it comes to creating something as important as this kind of music. It also expresses their sense for humor, which is of course quite original, to add up. Burn me Wicked, you live up to your name. Illdisposed: keep it coming, we'll never get tired of your shite!

(originally written for the metal observer 8.11.09)