Excellent Package - 95%

Iced_Demon, July 24th, 2002

It seemed like it took forever for Dark Genesis to arrive in the mail. When it finally came, I was jumping with joy. This box set features Iced Earth's last demo (Enter the Realm), their first three albums - remixed and remastered - (Iced Earth, Night of the Stormrider, Burnt Offerings), and a tribute CD with cover songs of Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Blue Oyster Cult, KISS, Alice Cooper, and AC/DC (Tribute to the Gods). I paid $35 for five Iced Earth CDs...pretty damn good!

The packaging is great, except for the sleeve for which Tribute to the Gods was put in (which is why I didn't rate this boxset higher). The sleeve would easily scratch the CD in a short period of time, so I keep it in a CDR case. The other CDs are well-placed within the sleeves, with built-in jewel cases, I guess you could say. There's an extensive biography of the band, and each CD has its own page with the cover art and all of the lyrics (no lyrics for the tribute CD, though). There's a lot of cool pictures of the band through the years as well.

The remastered albums sound excellent. The s/t sounds crisp, but I can't compare it to the original, since I don't own it. Night of the Stormrider sounds extremely better than the original release - much crisper...John Greely's voice is more audible and shows that he was pretty good too...and the drums have new life to them. Burnt Offerings was improved some as well, although I like the original. The sound is thicker, but I think it's not as dark anymore. I also don't like how some of the songs were changed - in "Last December", the echo is much more audible and very annoying. In "Diary", Matt's scream lost its punch...and there were other minor details I didn't like. But it was still a good album. The tribute CD is good, not great. It's fun to listen to, though. All the songs are done good, and I enjoy them.

Dark Genesis is something every avid fan of Iced Earth should have. It's also a good thing for newbies to pick up as well. It's limited though, so you might want to pick one up quick.