Brutalidad pura - 88%

mrdanteaguilar, May 17th, 2011

Direct from Spain, Human Mincer delivers Degradation Paradox, perhaps one of the weirdest albums I've ever heard (lyrically) and one of the most brutal as well. I can see where bands in the vein of Despised Icon, Beneath The Massacre, or Waking the Cadaver take inspiration from. Of course, they cannot even remotely touch this savage gem of raw brutality even with their most ''br00tal'' breakdown, although musically this won't cross the boundaries of brutal death metal music in terms of complexity or creativity. In fact, it sounds like a mixture of Mortician, Cephalotripsy, and even some Suffocation. That's certainly not a bad thing, however.

The first aspect you will notice is Phlegeton's characteristic vocal style that makes his other band, Wormed, one of the most brutal bands I've ever blasted in my car speakers (with even weirder lyrics). Phlegeton could be easily mistaken for a wild boar ready to eat your guts, incorporating unintelligible, yet mind blowing vocals (read the lyrics and your mind shall be blown further) and makes all the songs sound aggressive and punishing. Nevertheless, I would've loved to hear some low guttural vocals as well.

The bass is undoubtedly impossible to fully distinguish from the rest of the music, as the only bass you can hear is the deep crunch of the entire chaotic orchestra that takes place during the whole album. That's not bad either. After all, it still sounds brutal as fuck.

Guitars sound very crunchy and always play very catchy riffs and pulverizing chugging parts as well in most of the songs, delivering an inhuman rampage with no chance of breaking down or stopping at any time. Degadation Paradox offers hundreds of ear-raping riffs, especially songs like "Sculpturing Himself Atrocity" and "Flask Copper Deglutition" that offer bestial riffs at all times.

Drums, however, don't offer anything special, consisting of entirely blast beats and fast patterns, but again, this is a brutal death metal release. Don't expect Cephalic Carnage's technicality. Besides, the drum kit sounds properly mixed and has a punchy sound as well so you'll be entertained while detonating this musical piece through your speakers.

Only one thing that you should be warned about is how similar the songs might sound. If you're not used to brutal death metal, grindcore, or death metal in general, this might sound as a nonstop wall of noise. If you 're a fan of true brutal metal, don't miss this gem. By the way, the review title is Spanish for ''pure brutality''.

Saucy Spanish death - 80%

autothrall, October 27th, 2009

Album number three for the Spanish brutes, and while I was expecting more of that middle of the road, throwaway guttural death I was pleasantly surprised by the whirlwind of razor edged chaos that was Degradation Paradox. Though the band has its fair share of chug and blast alteration, it also has a refined sense of the old school and a torrid of intensity to the songwriting which easily maintained my attention throughout the eight tracks.

"Flask Copper Deglutition" evokes the first holocaust with savage blasting accented by some Morbid Angel style crunch and squeal under a flurry of brutal grunts and snarls, which sound pretty fucking amazing in the crisp mix of the album. "Sculpturing Himself Atrocity" has some sick spurts of intense chugging with evil riffing to cap them off. The title track hit me like an 18-wheeler full of ballast-toting zombies. "Dyskinetic Martyr Modification" (what a name) just flat out leveled my brain, and then the album just continues to get even more intense and complicated as on "Scaphocephaly Status Error" and "Macromutation Overflowed".

Did I mention I love how they name their songs? Truth be told, there aren't a lot of extremely catchy riffs to be found on the album, yet it doesn't even NEED them, because it's such an intense ride that will have you banging your head for the very short time it takes until your neck snaps and you don't have to worry about catchy riffs anymore.

Pretty goddamn awesome, one of the best death metal albums I've heard from the Spanish scene. Recommended.

-autothrall