A dubious compilation - 70%

Agonymph, January 1st, 2007

From the moment I have purchased this album, I have been wondering who has been responsible for the tracklisting of the damn thing. From talking to her, I know that vocalist Sabina Classen wasn't really behind the release of the album and I can understand why. The title really already says that it's based around their Dead Kennedies cover. Instead, it's an expansion of the picture disc single that was released of the song.

I guess that already betrays that the album starts out with two tracks I absolutely despise. Once again, the two covers that are on the 'World Chaos' album come to torture my hearing when I put on the CD. Luckily, there's something called a skip button on a CD player, that makes it pretty damn easy to get to the next songs.

But there's a "best of-ish" part on the rest of the album that isn't exactly representative of what Holy Moses was about up until that album. Hell, it's not even representative for Holy Moses in that period! Of course, 'Nothing For My Mum', 'Theotocy' and 'Clash My Soul' are killer tracks, but who ever came up with the idea to include 'Distress And Death' and 'Five Year Plan' on this album? Of course, they're good songs, but not even close to Holy Moses' best at that time. 'Fuck You', 'Reborn Dogs' and 'The Pool Of Blood' would have been better selections.

The previously unreleased stuff on the compilation make up a little though. There are rehearsal room versions from 1991 of the songs 'Finished With The Dogs' and 'World Chaos'. Both versions are tight and sound killer, in both cases probably even better than the original studio versions, because there is a certain "live feel" to the songs, but then with a studio sound quality. There's also a rehearsal version of the never released track 'Waste Or Try' on the album. The song itself is pretty nice, but it's obvious why it didn't end up on an album. It would have been one of the better songs on 'World Chaos' though, but I guess it's been written after that.

Closing the album is yet another cover. That brings the grand total on four, which is too much in my opinion. It's a rather cool one though. It's Venom's 'Black Metal' with several members from Warpath and Venom-singer Cronos. The multitude of singers makes the vocals a bit messy but the music is tighter than in Venom's version if you ask me.

On the 2006 re-release, the 'Death Bells' live demo is included. All the tracks are better audience recordings. Not really the sound quality you'd expect on an official release, but fair enough for fans of this material. Doesn't take away anything from the fact that 'Too Drunk To Fuck' is a dubious compilation.