The absolute highlight in Holy Moses' discography! - 95%

Agonymph, January 1st, 2007

First of all, I'd like to say that I am surprised that nobody before me took the opportunity to review this fine album on this website. Well then, let me be the first to recommend this album to you, because in my opinion, not one single European band ever succeeded in making a better Thrash album than this one, not even Kreator with 'Coma Of Souls'.

Okay, I may be a bit biased, because Holy Moses is my favorite European Thrash band, but I'm dead serious when I tell you this album is one of a kind. While everybody knows Holy Moses for their brutal and effective mixture of Thrash Metal, Death Metal and a punk-ish attitude, the band obviously opted for a more "Bay Area"-approach on 'The New Machine Of Liechtenstein'. An approach that is very much of my liking.

What does that approach mean then? Basically, the playing is even tighter, there is more room for guitar solos, the song structures are a little more complex, there's a little more variation between the songs and the whole thing is just slightly better than anything else Holy Moses has ever done. It's very hard to put the whole thing into words, the music speaks for itself, but since I'm a reviewer, I can't get away with it that easy!

Even though it's hard to pick a few highlights from such a spectacular album, one of them is crystal clear to me. 'Def Con II' is in my opinion the best song Holy Moses has ever made. People who consider Jon Schaffer the riff master should check this song out and they will come to the realisation that Andy Classen is just that. Although lots of riffs of this song are based on the same theme, they change around a bit on the rhythmical part and that makes the whole song interesting. Not to mention that there are changes in the song itself anyway, just check out that half-time part with that beautiful guitar solo in the middle of the song. Now that I've mentioned one...there are some great solos on this song (and all throughout the album). Andy shares them with a guy called Thilo Hermann this time and they all kick ass.

'Panic' is a strange song for Holy Moses. It starts out with some twin guitars, something Holy Moses hardly ever uses. The whole song has a progressive feel due to some odd changes, but the "flow" of the song is never lost. Bass player Tom Becker even does a little Funk bass part on this song. With that, he was the first bass player who ever did a Funk part on a Thrash Metal album, a matter of only months before OverKill's DD Verni did that on 'Nothing To Die For', something he is still very proud of. That might explain why he is credited with "bass and funk bass" on the original album. Drummer Uli Kusch also really shines on this song. Quite a surprising song, but a very good one without any doubt.

Another highlight is the track 'SSP (Secret Service Project)', a song which works incredibly well live, which may partly be because of the catchiness of the chorus. Sabina Classen's versatile grunts stand out in this song somehow, while the rhythm guitars are tight as ever. 'SSP' is a typical Euro Thrash song, but is something special because the execution of the whole song is so superb, that I still can't understand how they pulled that off. Once again, Uli Kusch's drumming is outstanding, especially during the intro. Seriously, what the man does on his bass drums, toms and ride cymbals in that intro is unbelievable. You'll probably still found yourself yelling along to the chorus days after you heard it on this one.

Closing the album is also a rather atypical song. 'Lost In The Maze' is notably slower than all the other songs on the album. That is absolutely no problem, because it makes the song a nice midtempo headbanger. Midtempo Thrashers can be really killer and this one is definitely a good example of that. Maybe it's because of Andy Classen's palm mutes that the main riff of the track has such a nice punch. And even though the bass sound on the entire album is very good, it stands out on this track, because it's really got the low, creeping sound here. It's quite clear that Holy Moses had the same producer on this album as OverKill at the time (Alex Perialas), the bass sound is quite similar. Back to the song then. When the song speeds up a little in the middle, there's a part which is probably much to a mosher's delight. And Sabina once again shines in this track. Another standout one!

Although the four tracks I have just mentioned are my personal highlights on the album, they are only just slightly better than the other songs. And the others contain several highlights as well. Just check the guitar solos on the opening track 'Near Dark' or the oh so cool intro to 'State: Catatonic'. This all combined with a great production by Alex Perialas makes this the perfect European Thrash album.

Bottom line is that when you like Thrash, you should really check out this album. Everyone who calls himself or herself a Thrasher should find something of his or her liking on 'The New Machine Of Liechtenstein'. I know I did! If you truly want to experience the greatness of Holy Moses, I personally think this album is the one to do that with.