“Good debut from an interesting band” - 69%

Metdude, September 19th, 2006

Now here’s a band that definitely deserved more attention than they got. Their type of music is hard to describe. It sounds pretty heavy but it’s not typical metal. It sounds more like hardcore at times. They certainly sound unique. I really can’t think of anyone else who sounds like them.

I don’t like this quite as much as the next two albums they did, but it’s still a perfectly decent debut. One of the things I like most about this band is their ability to create simple guitar riffs that manage to be very catchy without getting boring. This would become more evident on later albums but even here, songs like Bad Mood already utilise this technique well.

The best song on here is FBLA and it’s also the heaviest track on the album. It has a faster pace to it than the other songs although it never reaches thrash metal intensity. It has more in common with hardcore especially the vocals which are pretty generic yelling for the most part. Another good song is Sinatra. It’s the darkest song on here and has a very heavy main riff. This was actually covered by the Deftones who cite Helmet as a big influence on their sound. Fear not, Helmet is a much better band than the Deftones. At least they aren’t afraid of playing solos and there are some good ones on here. I especially like the solos featured on Repetition and FBLA.

The only real problem this album has is the production. While not being really bad or anything, it’s not exactly crystal clear. If you’ve never heard this band before, I would recommend checking out Meantime and Betty first before getting this album.