About What You'd Expect - 15%

pinpals, April 24th, 2007

I never even realized that these guys had a page on this site. This band is less metal than Godsmack. Perhaps the optimist inside you will try to convince yourself that maybe the musicians were all limited by their respective bands and "Hellyeah!" is their outlet for the true fucking metal that has been building up inside them for all this time.

Well, it's not. In fact, it's exactly what you would expect given the members' past histories. Nothingface and Mudvayne? Is this the best Vinnie Paul could do? Perhaps the bills needed paying and so he decided this would be the easiest way to sell big (they did, the album debuted at #9 on the US charts). The riffs are beyond stale, not a single one that I would call memorable. The guitar tone makes the aforementioned Godsmack seem like the heaviest band in the world. Most of the songs have a predictable and boring breakdown in the middle, and the rest of the song is a failed attempt at groove. Groove and amazing breakdowns aren't staples of the mallcore genres as some seem to believe. See Anthrax, Overkill, or early some Metallica for how breakdowns and groove should be done. These songs would fit perfectly in the "Metal by Numbers" comedy song by Brian Posehn, because these songs all follow the same formula. It sickens me that people can get away with such assembly-line songwriting. And the vocals...they're the worst part on here! Are these supposed to be tough? Sully Erna could take this guy and have sex with his girlfriend at the same time.

The only positive aspect is the drums. And positive isn't even the right word. Let me rephrase that, the only part of the album that isn't dogshit is the drums. Vinnie Paul actually pulls off some decent work considering what little he has to work with. But this is his project so it's not like this is anything surprising.

You've probably noticed the comparisons to Godsmack. I'm not saying that Godsmack is anything amazing that bands should model themselves after, but when compared to this shit, mediocrity becomes the sublime. Please, in honor of Dimebag, download this album illegally then burn copies for all your friends.