Actually, Not All Bad - 50%

JamesIII, January 6th, 2010

I wanted to write something about Hell Yeah, but since alot of people had already written for the album I chose not to repeat everything already said about it. For one, I got excited over Hell Yeah like a dumb ass, mostly because Vinnie Paul was involved. I like Vinnie Paul and was excited to see him return to music despite the fact that Damageplan was horridly mediocre mallcore meets Pantera.

While most of the "Hell Yeah" is complete throwaway garbage, I actually found this song intrigueing. It possesses more authenticity than anything else running around on that album, especially the band's attempts at downtuned groovin'. With a name like "Alcohaulin' Ass," one should not expect a song that breaches the inner mind and delivers an enlightening experience. Instead, you should expect a song that encourages getting drunk as hell.

The countrified sections on this song remind me a bit of the late 70's, early 80's outlaw country scene, maybe a little more laid back than "Longhaired Redneck" by David Allan Coe, but it pertains that bar floor feel. At around the 1:40 mark, it turns into a heavier version of a Southern rock song but maintains a feel that a modern bar band would attempt. The anthemic injections are a nice change of pace, and work rather well in this song, as opposed to flopping left and right on the rest of the album. The lyrics aren't especially strong as apparently Chad Grey lost any iota of intelligence he once had on "L.D. 50." His vocals work better here than anywhere else on this album, though I'd still prefer to hear someone else who can actually handle songs of this caliber without losing all credibility.

While it isn't overly incredible, "Alcohaulin' Ass" is the best the "Hell Yeah" album had to offer. I would know, I was dumb enough to buy the damn thing when it came out. If nothing else, its good to hear Vinnie Paul Abbott back in music, maybe he'll quit this band and start something with more possibilities without Chad Grey delivering a piss poor vocal performance. If you're a fan of Southern metal, as I am, this might be up your alley. Just don't get suckered into buying the whole thing, or you'll be listening to this song using the CD as a beer coaster.