Faux Metal Pukebox - 40%

Doomrock, July 2nd, 2006

I have to agree with Boris here, this album pretty much sucks. I can't allow myself to rate Helloween lower than 40 though, and granted the performances on this album are good, and your brain won't melt listening to it. There's just nothing you want to hear on it.

After a pretty ferocious cover of Judas Priest's "Hellion/Electric Eye a few years earlier, when I heard Helloween was doing a covers album I had visions in my head of songs like Children of the Grave, Two Minutes to Midnight and other great classic metal songs done up to the max by Helloween. Notsomuch.

The killer here is what this album could have been. The Scorpion cover is faithfully done, but what if they had done Sails of Charon or The Zoo? The From Out of Nowhere cover was just as corny and poppy as the original, but what if they'd done an FNM song like Falling to Pieces, A Small Victory or even Last Cup of Sorrow? Instead of the well done Hocus Pocus cover, they'd done the song that ripped it off and became metal legend: Blitzkrieg?

That's fine that the guys like Bowie, Clapton and ABBA. However, if you're going to make an album and call it "Metal Jukebox", it should actually have metal songs on it. Maybe they intended the title to be ironic, in which case they hit it on the mark. For the casual fan, however, if you're looking for metal, look somewhere else.