The Infection Spreads Fast - 88%

thrashtidote, December 6th, 2011

Hellcannon are a four piece from New York, playing some pretty aggressive thrash. If you dive in to the depths into the depths of their music, you'll see that they aren't particularly like other new thrash bands. They actually have some traits of black and death metal, creating an interesting combination. So in that case we could call these guys blackened death/thrash, which is not a bad thing at all. I'm still surprised how I didn't know of these guys until a couple of months. Playing in the vein of Sarcofago, Destroyer 666 and alike Hellcannon will deliver you solid and vicious thrash thus rapidly spreading the headbanging infection.

The album kicks off with a nice, acoustic medley, relaxing your soul a little before a devastating impact of pure brutality. Leviathan has one of the sickest intros ever, followed by a brain pummeling force of crunchy and heavy riffs. As I mentioned before, the guys are sort of influenced by black metal as you can understand from the vocals. Leviathan is the fastest, most insanely crushing song on HTH whole album. Unlike the other songs it doesn't have technically inspired riffs but a rather ferocious approach to the music with neck-braking riffs delivered with some great drumming.

And so the album goes on like it's predecessor until the brilliant Harbringer of War. What a tune. Mind-blowing shredding solos with great riffs combining technicality with the typical aggression of the album. Rapid tremolo picking to melt your face. But the real highlights here are the solos, which are just orgasmic. They come out of nowhere and suddenly change the battlefield into a completely new place. After this track I was literally hooked on Hellcannon.

The final track that I really want to put my finger on is the bone-lacerating Act of Violence. My first Hellcannon song so it has great importance to me. The riffs have an even more progressive edge than Harbringer of War. Not only that but it will also batter your skull into submission. Act of Violence is and outstanding performance of stamina and endurance and also a terrific effort combining the crucial elements that form the whole album. A furious blend of progressive thrash riffs with the destructive power of Leviathan and a finger snapping solo thrown into it.

Overall, this album has some of the finest material from the new wave of thrash metal. While it may not hold too much originality in the music, it shows great viciousness with a neverending barrage of energetic, heavy and cryptic riffs and having a great style of their own. I guarantee any thrasher will be infected by this album within the first forty seconds of the album.

A solid effort-88
LA

Hellcannon - Infected With Violence - 86%

lister_fiend, August 2nd, 2011

Hellcannon are a 4 piece death/thrash band from Buffalo, New York and they are guaranteed to pummel your face to dust and enjoy every second of it. These guys know exactly how to blend the best of death metal and thrash to obtain a perfect mix of the two genres. There isn't much innovation on this record but that doesn't matter AT ALL because the material here is brutal, catchy and all around great.

The best part of this record is definitely the guitar work. The riffs are heavy and brutal, but at times show glimpses of technicality. But the real technical ability lies within the shredding solos found on every track. The song "Leviathan" showcases Hellcannon's undeniable talent for songwriting and lead guitar skills as it opens with a sinister sounding clean guitar melody and ends the brutal and chaotic track with some arpeggios, not often heard in thrash.

The vocals have a black metal edge to them, but it suits the viciousness of the music greatly and gives the listener the impression that they might have their eardrums rupture on the spot. Another noticeable part of Hellcannon's music is the utilization fo the bass as something other than just for keeping the music heavy at the bottom end. Tracks like "Raiders of the Waste" and "Sacrifice by Fire" both put a spotlight on the bass, even if it is only for the intros.

Hellcannon is a band that everyone needs to take notice of and Infected With Violence is rock-solid proof of that. My personal favorite tunes here are definitely the epic "Leviathan" and "Harbinger of War." Now do yourself a favor and check this band out, you will not regret it!

skullfracturingmetal.blogspot.com