They never the recognition they deserved. - 95%

Metalbanger1987, April 6th, 2007

What we have here is a hardrock/melodic metal dream team from Los Angeles. This band is musically lethal. This was the bands debut and rarely does a band put out a debut as consistent as these dudes did here. Unfortunately it also turned out to be their last album, they split up soon because this kick-ass release went completely unnoticed (which is a shame): the album was released in 1992, when grunge bands were the big hype.

This is one of the best records nobody has heard about. The vocalist, Joel Ellis, sings his ass off. Frankie Banali (who was also the drummer of Quiet Riot and W.A.S.P.) is one of the best rock drummers in my opinion. The drums are crushing. Gary Hoey is a guitar virtuoso who can craft a killer riff and a great melodic feel. He stuffed this album full of great guitar solos.

It’s quite a diverse album with many great tunes like “4 AM TM”, “Where Eagles Fly”, the monster power ballad “Turn It On”, the bluesy “Summers In The Rain”,… The song “4 AM TM” is worth the price of this disc alone. For me it’s one of the top five hardrock/80’s style heavy metal songs ever. It blew me away when I heard it for the first time: this is 80’s metal/hardrock with a sleazy touch, but it has very little in common with that polished pop metal stuff from the late eighties/early nineties. “4 AM TM” has heavy riffs and great drums. The solo in the middle of the track is incredible. There used to be an awesome Headbanger’s Ball videoclip of this song on Youtube. The band was on fire in that video. I watched it all the time, but unfortunately Youtube has to remove MTV Headbanger’s Ball videos from their site, so it’s not there anymore. Another favourite of me is “Where Eagles Fly”. This songs starts as a soft acoustic ballad but after four minutes it suddenly explodes into a very heavy rock song with monster riffs and another killer solo by Gary Hoey. There are several ballads on this album, but that’s not such a bad thing when the ballads are all so good.

Heavy Bones 1992 self-titled debut is a top notch old-school 80's style metal album and one that will see many plays for years to come. The musicianship is very impressive. It’s just too bad that today’s bands don’t make music like this anymore.