A great replacement for the video from Live Evil! - 90%

Vegetaman, November 7th, 2007

Who knew that after Ronnie left the band both in 1983 and again in 1992, that he would ever want to collaborate with Iommi and Geezer ever again? Or if he would ever want to collaborate with Vinny Appice again, as well? I sure didn't. But I'm glad we did, because this DVD is great!

I am sad that they were unable to squeeze "Ear in the Wall" into their live show for inclusion on this DVD, or in some other format (perhaps as menu music, or the music for one of the bonus features). But hey, this differs from the usual Black Sabbath DVD fare, as this actually does have some bonus features. Granted, they're fairly short, but they're very interesting to hear from Iommi's guitar tech and to hear about the origins of the little demon that dominates many shirts and sits on Geezer's bass.

The setlist was great, and nice and lengthy, nearly two hours long! The majority of the set was stuff from Heaven and Hell (6 out of 8 songs from that album), and then a few from The Mob Rules album, and then 3 off of Dehumanizer. I was sad they didn't include a few classics like "Turn Up The Night", "Time Machine", "TV Crimes" and such, but we still got a great helping of Sabbath that we never thought we would get to see live. And since the Live Evil film reels seem as though they may never see the light of day, we finally have Dio era Sabbath captured on DVD form in an official release!

The standout tracks here are "I", for it is the one song on here that has a riff unlike any other which Iommi lays down (it's almost thrashy), "Lady Evil" for it's amazing use of wah-pedal in its solo breaks, "The Sign of the Southern Cross" for Iommi managing to turn it into a doomy masterpiece, full of Ronnie's little vocal fills and great vocals, and Geezer's interesting use of a wah-pedal with his bass, and finally "Lonely Is The Word" for it's displaying of more of Iommi's ability to solo that we just haven't gotten to see much of in the past decade. And I like his use of a white SG as if this is a new chapter in his legacy.

The whole band is in great form, and appear to be having a great time. Iommi nails his old solos and somehow manages to never miss a note. Geezer has some really good bass fills. Ronnie sounds really good, though he is finally starting to show his age. His vocal range isn't quite as high as it used to be. But he still sounds great, and he makes it through the whole 2 hours without his voice cracking or giving out at all. And Mr. Dio manages to let out one of the most metal screams (at the start of Mob Rules) this side of Jon Oliva of Savatage.

There's a few places where the video footage is not quite aligned with what they are playing, such as a notable section in "I" when Iommi is playing the middle of the riff and the video shows him slide up to the end of the riff. Just little things like that. The drum solo is a little boring too. Other than that, the crowd does a great sing along with Heaven and Hell, and Iommi does a very nice extended solo both here, and as an intro to Die Young. It's nice to see Iommi let go and just unleash on the guitar, as he's been so reserved and had no place to really shine on the Black Sabbath The Last Supper Reunion DVD. Now he comes out and gets his own spotlight at the start of After All (The Dead), during the middle of Heaven and Hell, and at the start of Die Young. Then there's that crazy rockish riff at the start of Voodoo. Even Geezer gets a section to shine, during both Heaven and Hell and The Sign of the Southern Cross.

If you are a fan of Dio era Sabbath, then go pick up this DVD. The band still plays together as tight as ever, and you can definitely tell that on this DVD. And the video and audio quality is near perfect.