Fury, flames, aggression, bruttality...etc - 82%

foz45139, May 28th, 2008

The new album from Hate Eternal starts as it means to go on, with the brutal-as-fuck 'Hell Envenom'. From listening to this song, it becomes kind of obvious that this is going to be a great death metal album.

The story behind this album is quite interesting. It is dedicated to the legendary Jared Anderson (RIP) who was an intense musician and worked with Erik Rutan quite a lot over the past few years. So basically, this album is fuelled by the emotions Rutan felt about his death, and to be honest, the man sounds like he could kill George Fisher with his bare hands. Which leads nicely onto the fact that the bassist on this album is none other than Alex Webster of Cannibal Corpse (and to most death metal fans, Webster and Rutan working on the same album is one of the best things since Schuldiner and Digiorgio.) However, I am disappointed with the fact that his bass seems quite low down in the mix compared to his work with CC. Despite this, it still provides the crunchy background that this band really needs. The album was produced by Erik Rutan himself, and although the album is crushing enough already, it could be A LOT more crushing.

One thing that people seem to be crying over more than Jared Anderson passing is the fact that Derek Roddy isn't drumming on this album. Well, I don't really care about Derek Roddy when Jade Simonetto does such a great job here. I'm not a drum expert at all, but from what I can hear, he executes it all perfectly and there are some of those parts that we loved on 'I, Monarch' where the blastbeats are so violent that they send shivers down your spine.

On their older stuff, you can still recite a lot of the choruses in your head (King Of All Kings: if you're into Hate Eternal you're screaming that chorus in your head right now), they replace that with pure brutality and aggression that is so heavy and fast that it makes you vomit your own guts from the shock. An example is 'Bringer of Storms' where about 30 seconds into the song, a slow droning riff transforms into an elephantine blast beat infested riff-fest, guaranteed to cave your skull in - which is what you buy the CD for. It does what it says on the tin; this is fury in it's most furious form and I love every minute of it.