Let's Watch the News Tonight - 95%

Twisted_Psychology, November 16th, 2011

Originally published at http://suite101.com

Halcyon Way is a group based out in Atlanta, Georgia with a sound that is hard to specifically pinpoint. While they are mostly associated with progressive metal, they also have a elements of traditional, gothic, power, electronic, and even bits of death metal coming together.

Their debut album proved to be a surprising highlight in 2008 and the band has gathered some acclaim thanks to a tour with Fozzy and even a set at the famous Rocklahoma festival.

However, the band also experienced a major change as former vocalist Sean Shields left the group in 2009 and was immediately replaced by Steve Braun of Ashent.

Before I go too far into the actual album, I would like to take a moment to comment on the lead singer switch. For the most part, the switch works pretty well as Braun has a more distinct voice that never seems to mimic anyone as his predecessor had a habit of doing. It sometimes has a rather nasally touch, but it goes with the band's sound and is never too out of place.

As for the album itself, it doesn't stray too far from the band's debut for the most part. The keyboards still provide several electronic influences, the production gives the album a modern sound that is simultaneously heavy and polished, and the songs still mostly revolve around the building verses and uplifting choruses.

Yet, at the same time, some changes have taken place as this album seems to be heavier than the one before it. In addition to the songs being more riff-driven and the drums showing more aggression, the album also features harsher vocals courtesy of bassist Kris Maltenieks.

Fortunately, both of these elements are well balanced and do not detract from one another or the actual songwriting. Of course, it does make one wonder if the band will one day immerse themselves completely in the melodic death metal genre in a way similar to James Labrie's new solo album.

Also noteworthy are the appearances on several songs by Pamela Moore, best known as the voice of Sister Mary on Queensryche's Operation: Mindcrime. Her contributions all manage to sound great and never feel as tacked on as they had been on Operation: Mindcrime II four years back...

As previously mentioned, the album's songwriting goes pretty well with the two styles that are on display. Age of Betrayal and The System are the album's most accessible songs as they don't sound too far removed from the past in terms of structure and aesthetics.

In contrast, the death metal elements seem to come out the most through the harsh/clean verse contrasts of Rise to Revise and the grunt-friendly choruses of Death of a Dream. Unsurprisingly, these two tracks are among the album's most memorable for this very reason.

But the songs also hint at a few styles that have yet to be fully developed at this point in time. One particular example of this is the elaborately titled Inside Looking Out (The Icon and the Ghost), an eight minute long track that features a slightly extended chorus and instrumental sections in addition to some cool vocal layering.

Also memorable is Mouth Without a Head, which is arguably one of the band's first true ballads. It stands out not only for its more socially conscious lyrics and subdued structure, but also for a particularly passionate performance by Moore.

All in all, this is a great album that continues to prove the strength and potential of Halcyon Way though the second half isn't quite as powerful as the first.

In addition, some traditional listeners may be put off by the more extreme elements, and vice versa, but this is another album worth checking out for fans of every metal sub-genre out there.

Current Highlights:
Rise to Revise, Death of a Dream, Age of Betrayal, Inversion, and Mouth Without a Head

Truly fresh, excellent heavy progressive metal - 90%

MetalFRO, August 10th, 2011

Today’s metal scene is so overrun by bands it’s not funny. I don’t say that lightly, either – truly, if you live in a large city or in a metal-friendly location in Europe, there are spots where you can hardly throw a stone down the street without hitting a metal player in the head, probably without realizing it. The Internet (now 20 years young) has seen both a rebirth of the genre, and now what can only be termed a “glut”. Thousands of bands have come out of the woodwork over the last 15 years or so, in part due to the expansion of the metal genre as a whole due to nu-metal and hardcore/metal infusion bands. The growth has also been the continuing expansion of more traditional styles of metal, from the revival of the 80’s glam-rock scene to a thrash metal revival in the last 3-4 years, and both black and death metal taking on a new life of their own.

One other scene that has expanded greatly is the progressive metal scene. This is evident in both the large number of bands participating in the style, but also due to the growth of what “progressive” actually means in terms of metal. Not only is it bands who are instrumentally proficient like Dream Theater, or write creative song structures and utilize more complex lyrical directions (Queensryche, Fates Warning, King’s X), but also to include bands who take those things and add their own spin, their own stamp, and often hybridize their music stylistically, often to great effect. Halcyon Way, hailing from Atlanta, Georgia, fits into the latter category by adapting some of the tenets of the typical “progressive” metal field, but also throwing a little extra flavor in for good measure.

“Building the Towers” is the band’s 2nd full-length album, and it’s a considerable step up from their debut, “A Manifesto For Domination” in many ways. Firstly, the riffing is heavier and more commanding overall, brimming with thick chunky goodness. Second, the songs have a bit more variety in structure, adding to the album’s listenability factor versus the debut. Third, the solo work here is a bit more stand-out, with some fun stuff going on in places and just more to love. Also, the vocals on the album are a bit tighter overall, and the addition of some death growls by bassist Kris Maltenieks is a nice touch I hope the band continues to explore. Overall, the additional elements the band has added have worked well.

So in more detail, guitar-wise this album is fun. Jon Bodan and Zane are definitely flexing their six-string muscles, as there is a lot of cool riffing going on throughout the album. As mentioned before, there is also some great solo work here that nicely rides that line between overly flashy and overly simplistic. It’s a near-perfect balance of technical display and melodic sensibility. Bass guitar by Kris settles in here nicely, though it’s not overly audible. Often the casualty in metal production, bass is either relegated to providing the extra “thump” on the record from a production standpoint, or is just largely inaudible. Thankfully here Kris’ playing isn’t altogether suppressed and is at least audible in points, as well as giving the music that extra weight it needs. Drum work by Ernie is excellent, with double bass work, groovy rhythms, interesting bits and fills where necessary, and overall a really tight performance.

Vocally, Steve Braun picks up not where Sean left off, but in some ways at another level. Where Sean had a lot of grit in his voice and had some level of range, Steve comes in with a less gritty, more smooth vocal sound, as well as a bit smaller range, settling into an upper baritone, lower to mid-range tenor. Sean had a lot of expression and inflection in his voice, which made up for his minor range shortcomings on the band’s debut. Steve is an obviously more seasoned vocalist, to be sure, so his presentation is more professional, from the well-done harmonized vocal layering to the smooth-as-butter sound he achieves in many songs. Steve’s sense of dynamics comes into play a few times on the record when quieter, more plaintive moments crop up here and there, which shows his range as a singer as well. The addition of Pamela Moore in spots (famous for her contributions to Queensryche’s “Operation: Mindcrime” album) is a good choice, as her emotional and understated performance fits in nicely where included. Lyrically, this album is great. As you may have read, it’s a concept album about society in general and how our society today has an entitlement mentality and how American in particular is moving away from the core values and principles it was founded upon. The album also deals with the sort of “Tower of Babel” being constructed through the various means used to both control and unite the populace. It’s a cool concept, and one that I personally can identify with at some level. It’s also well-executed from somewhat of a semi-personal perspective. The concept isn’t dealt with directly for the most part, but shades of that can be gleaned from the lyrics when you read through them.

So with all this goodness, what’s not to like? Some folks may be turned off by Steve Braun’s slightly nasally vocal delivery. It’s not an issue for me, personally, but any nasal component can be off-putting for some. I will say that Steve in-no-way veers toward Michael Bolton territory, just that there’s a touch of the that element that comes through. I also feel as though Steve is holding back just a bit. The band is now hitting their stride, and while his performance is tight, if not excellent, I still get the sense that he’s not utilizing his full abilities as a vocalist, as if there’s more he could do or he has greater range than what this record demonstrates. I like Steve’s voice and I think he’s a fine addition to the band. I just miss some of Sean’s highly expressive delivery, as well as the high-pitched stuff he did in spots (like in the intro to the title track of the previous album). If Steve isn’t capable of that stuff, it’s not an issue – I mainly want Steve to open up as much as possible and give us a sense of his full potential. The other thing I should mention is that Halcyon Way’s broader direction with greater emphasis on riffing, increased use of solo work, and the inclusion of some gruffer vocals may remind listeners of Steve Braun’s previous band Ashent quite a bit. Some might say too much. I’m not bothered by it, because I think Halcyon Way does enough to stand out from Ashent that neither band sounds like a clone of the other. It’s just something for the band to have in the back of their collective mind as they write new material and record another record. I’d encourage them to continue to push the envelope of their sound and keep seeking new horizons. I get the impression that this band may expand its pallet further on future releases.

For now, I’d say that this release is a definite highlight, and a major beacon of light on the metal landscape of 2010. With the forthcoming EP from Halcyon Way, and Jon having (hopefully) overcome Lymphoma, I see nothing but blue skies for these five gents from ATL. Continued development of their style, songwriting, and performance, and they’ll make an even bigger impact on the scene than they have thus far. I could see them touring with a name like Dream Theater, given the right connections. I mean, DT took out Redemption (Ray Alder!) and Into Eternity on the same tour. Halcyon Way fits in somewhere between those two bands, so it’s possible right? We can dream. Highly recommended.

90/100