This looks dull - 62%

Whalenut, June 28th, 2011

This is a good effort. With some changes it would be a great effort.

My first impression as I hold the album in my hands is “This looks dull”. The album has a one-in-a-million digital art cover; there is nothing wrong with it, it just looks incredibly boring.

The first track is a bombastic instrumental. It has a bit of a film score atmosphere, which is really nice. After this intro the actual songs begin, and it becomes clear that the singer is the main attraction on this album. She differentiates herself from the gothic operatic female voices that flood the genre. What a power! The music itself sounds like heavy metal with progressive and gothic influences, and a hint of folk (especially the mandolin pieces in some songs).

The problem with the music is that it’s too safe, and I miss some musicianship. Don’t get me wrong, the musicians can play their instruments, but they fail to impress. Most riffs sound familiar, the solo’s are functional but not amazing, the drums are ok but a bit dry. There is also some male choir during the choruses and such, but they are so low in the mix that they become almost inaudible. It’s a shame, because it would give the music a nice edge.

So, better riffs, better leads, better mixing, an interesting cover and this band would have a chance to build a nice career. They already have a singer of international class, but the rest of the band is very average. The songs grow on you after a while, which is a big positive point, and the album is enjoyable. But nothing more I’m afraid.