Gwar pwns. - 96%

Necrobobsledder, November 30th, 2005

Ah, neat, neat...nice to see Gwar on the site. I've been ambivalent about their status of 'metalitude' for quite some time now, having downloaded several tracks from various albums and buying this one. I've noticed traces of being metal, but the overall vibe stretched closer to punk and hard rock. Heh, someone actually told me that Gwar is virtually what started nu-metal. I doubt that, though.

Anyway, this album is chock-full of utterly demented, slapstick humor from the scumdogs of the universe. Each track is infused with a cocky, arrogant, obnoxious punk spirit along with just enough metal to get by. Also, there are other musical nuances you can notice here, and that's what really sets this band and this album apart. Gwar truly are purveyors of diversity and ingenuity in their songwriting. For example, the awesome opening track "Saddam a Go-Go" has a percussive saxophone accompaniment; "The Insidious Soliloquy of Skulhedface" is almost the equivalent of a silly modern rock opera; "Slap U Around" has an undeniably exhilarating classic rock spirit and sound; and "The Obliteration of Flab Quarv 7" takes the route of an extended narration that's purposefully rushed, but sounds great in its apocalyptic atonality.

A lot of people don't like Gwar because of their lyrical content and lack of musical talent, but it doesn't bother me that much...plus, their humorous lyrics are very appealing. For example, a choice section of "Slap U Around" is the following: " I wake you up in the morning baby, with a kick in the tit. I treat you like shit, you love it!" I'm not a major supporter of misogynistic lyrics, but c'mon, this band isn't to be taken seriously. Also, I do think they actually have some talent, but it's not readily apparent...I believe they're holding back. You can't argue that they're not innovative, though.

I must also mention the vocals and the album layout. Oderus Urungus has a great voice, if you ask me. It's not classically good, nor does he have much range and talent, but he's perfect for the style of music that the band play. Much of the time, he has a semi-deep grunt kind of shouting and other times he uncovers his melodic sensibilities when he actually sings. The actual singing doesn't really stand out much, but it's nice to hear it juxtaposed with his normal style. Also of note are the occasional vocals of Slymenestra Hymen, the female member of the band.(I'm pretty sure it's her who does some of the vocals sometimes.) On tracks such as "Fight", you can hear her snarling, creaturish vocals which sound strangely stuck in the background. That's the only detriment to her singing on this album...it's just not loud and in-your-face enough. Not too much of a biggie, though.

On to the the album layout inside the sleeve...this is fucking cool. Haha. It features profiles of each of the band members with pictures of them fully garbed in their extraterrestrial stage outfits and showcases their answers to a series of very very odd questions, such as "LAST ORIFICE VIOLATED". God, all this reminds me of when I used to create imaginary characters on paper with similar profiles. I can't recall much right now, but just read everything---it's funny. In addition, the artwork besides much of the lyrics is downright weird, especially the scene covering two pages which features many creatures with their private parts censored. What the fuck?!! Haha.

So, in conclusion....is this the most technically brilliant, aggressive, emotional band in the world?....HELL FUCKING NO. But are they good?....HELL YEAH, BITCH. Anyways, the fact that they're not really the most talented band in the world is a bit of a nonentity because of their originality. I think you'd be very hard-pressed to find a band that sounds much like Gwar. They're just very distinctive like that.

Now, I've only to get my hands on some of their other albums...namely Violence Has Arrived, which allegedly has the band really turning up the technicality and aggression a few notches without losing the eccentric, twisted qualities that define them.