Bloody Pit of Horror! - 85%

burnoutfool, November 10th, 2010

Growing up in the 90's, who hasn't heard of Gwar? I mean, they were the first band to dress the way they do - 5 members dressing as strange Space aliens come to destroy the world...with metal.They had much mainstream success with Scumdogs of the Universe and This Toilet Earth, as well as appearing on many talkshows, such as Jerry Springer and Joan Rivers. They have been targeted by the media for their often boisterous shows and disturbing lyrical topics. Like many other bands such as Slayer, Gwar's fanbase can be very loyal, and often annoying as well. Gwar has gone through many style changes, starting in Hardcore punk (Death Piggy), moving to metal, going to a weird middle period where they made strange music varying from Lounge music to poppy punk metal and finally catching their niche in the technical metal genre.

I first heard of Gwar from Beavis and Butthead, sadly. I remember the genesis game completely. It's quite difficult, but you end up going to the Gwar show and running around onstage and seeing the band play a song (in 8-bit), but it got me hooked. I instantly went out and bought Scumdogs of the Universe, arguably their best release. I listened to it for about a week straight and to this day, still listen to Gwar, whether it is the weird punk Gwar or the metal Gwar that everyone loves. I have even been to a few Gwar shows, and they are great.

As for the album, it was not what I expected. I was hoping for another Lust in Space-esque album, but what we got seemed to be more along the lines of Lust in Space meets Ragnarok, not that this is a bad thing, but it's definitely a downstep from Lust. The album opens with the song, "Zombies, March!", which is probably the best track on the album. The problem is that after this track, "Come the Carnivor" is a metal-ambient where it's basically two solid minutes of a slow drum beat with slow chords shouting "COME THE CARNIVOR!", which makes the album kind of slow down for a second before going into "A Gathering of Ghouls", another fast track. I would think that "Come the Carnivor" should be the first track, so that it doesn't slow down the mix.

As on the last album, this release was very tech, and sometimes experimental (Sick and twisted used drop third chords, as well as strange jazz-progressive beats). Flattus had many solos again and Jizmak had some sick drum fills, and overall used the double bass almost all the time. Instrumentally, the album is great, but still sub-par to what they are best at. Casey Orr has another song that he sings, being "Beat you to Death". Which was another great song, and I highly enjoyed it, especially since it opened with Flattus' wailing on his guitar. Orderous was great on the album, but the lyrics themselves seemed to not have much...oomph, I guess.

I guess my discrepancies are minor, but to a fan, they are important. I think that Bloody Pit of Horror will become one of the albums that I love, but at the same time that I under rate. Overall, the album is still better than We Kill Everything, possibly their worst and strangest album. I think this album has to grow on you, and if you are new to Gwar (as any Scumdog would say), don't start with this album, but rather with Scumdogs of the Universe or This Toilet Earth.

Highlights: Zombies, March!, A Storm is Coming, Beat You To Death, You Are My Meat, The Litany of the Slain