Heavy For Melodic Death... - 70%

skullfission, September 22nd, 2004

This CD came into my hands as a free gift due to my large amount of purchases from a certain vendor. The first thing I noticed is that these guys are actually competent musicians, which is always a plus (if not a necessity) in good Melodic Death. There is good riff variation here, but they're really over produced and reek of Gothenburg. There are, however, a few traditional heavy metal riffs to be found on this album, and some strange solos.

The drumming is decent, nothing special, but it fills out the music nicely. The vocalist sounds almost exactly like the vocalist from Amon Amarth, which adds a bit more brutality to the music. Most of the songs are mid-paced; nothing ever really gets to break-neck speed.

All in all, this is a decent slab of Gothenburg metal that's a tad more brutal than the aforementioned subgenre tends to be. As far as Gothenburg melodic death goes, I've only ever been able to tolerate At the Gates. I can, however, tolerate this as well. I was pleasantly surprised, and it is a welcome addition to my collection. Stay away if you're looking for sheer brutality though.