Great teaser! - 80%

Immortally_Insane, August 14th, 2012

Grave Digger comes from an era in metal that many of us wish would return, the 1980’s heavy/power metal scene. It seems so many of those bands have modernized their sound so much it’s unrecognizable, or some of them can’t play their old stuff, so fans rarely get to hear it live. I respect Grave Digger undeniably, even if there is only one original member in the band, Chris Boltendahl, they can still nail their classics like it was 25 years ago. But enough about the classics! Let’s talk about the future!

The new EP opens up with the title track ‘Home at Last’ that has an amazing driving drums, that classic crunchy guitar and bass tone, and the hard hitting vocal style of Boltendahl that I swear will never age. This is the only song on the EP that will be released on the new album, and it’s such a tease to what the new album will hold. The chorus especially is such a great representation of their music all around. It’s catchy, and has great vocal layering and melody that just makes me want to sing along.

What’s a metal band’s new EP release without a metal anthem? Metal Will Never Die is a fucking awesome metal anthem that I am a complete sucker for. It’s a perfect song for a long-lasting heavy metal band such as Grave Digger. They make me feel like I’m standing in the first row, raising my fist, screaming at my idols! Dozens of other bands out there can say “Metal will never die!” but how many out there can actually prove it? The three live tracks include one of my favorite songs of theirs, Excalibur. The recording on it is spot on and you can hear a great mix of the band and the crowd that really makes me feel like I’m there. It would be a dream come true!

All in all, the EP is a great release to add to their massive discography. I wish the new songs had more of a connection or a theme, because they are each telling their own original story and don’t really work together in any way. But for a teaser EP, it’s great, and the live tracks are a great touch! This band kicks ass on record AND live. And again, they can prove it!

[Originally written for metalholic.com]