© 2002-2017

Not quite there - 60%

I_Cast_No_Shadow, February 1st, 2010

Few pleasurable riffs but more tiresome ones, quite unclean guitars, thick but disturbing tone, quite weak rhythm, good vocals, these are what this album has to give. Is this Grave’s most compelling release? If yes, this signifies Grave as a mediocre group, as this release is just middle-of-the-road. These guys play death metal in veins of Dismember, Entombed and Vomitory, but tend to be lacking to reach there pretty a bit.

The guitar is creating an uneasy sound, and maybe that’s a huge factor for this. Same riffs repeat time and again, e.g. take the third track “Morbid Way to Die” for an instance, the 0:17 riff repeats in 0:48, 1:33, 2:03 and 2:48 and the one at the near end is also derived exactly from the very riff cutting its portion. Perhaps there’s more recurrence than this in other tracks, but none too concern unless the sound is actually interesting. Everything is catchy, and that may be a painful part as you would wish to skip over few of those tame rhythms haunting you.

There is handful of good riffs as well here and there, like at the opening of “Now and Forever”. This one resembles the aforementioned “Morbid Way to Die” riff to a huge degree.

The drums are rather simple but get more of my credit than rest of the instrumentations. At few points, the rawness of production isn’t letting a smooth listen to the double basses. Tempo changes are common and there are numerous headbangable parts.

Overall, it’s an average one. I’ll be forgetting about this after a while.

unrewarding - 45%

odradek, January 23rd, 2008

The aggression and intensity that characterize death metal derive from energetic rhythms; and without a tight rhythm section, there's no way to play this style of music effectively. Case in point: You'll Never See by Grave.

The rhythm guitar, placed at the fore of the mix, forges a massive wall of sound, which might have been an asset if it was well played, but instead it rumbles uncontrollably as the listener is subjected to sloppy renditions of tiresome riffs that always seem to repeat exactly eight times. And one can discern a dissonance between the rhythm guitar and the other instruments on occasion; whether from a premeditated lean on the whammy bar to impart a little more "evil" to the sound, or purely by accident, I can't say; but the result is unpleasantly grating.

The drums are played none too precisely either, and the same backbeat snare pattern seems to appear in every song; an overuse exacerbated by a dearth of tempo variation throughout the album. The lyrics are growled at a measured pace, with a few spoken parts thrown in.

The closing track is perhaps the best this album has to offer, as the instruments combine to build a bit of harmonic tension that the previous 7 songs seem to lack. But even so, it still suffers from the instrumentation flaws detailed above, and isn't really entertaining enough to redeem this weak album.

You'll Never See Grave Like This Again... - 93%

CHRISTI_NS_ANITY8, October 25th, 2007

Grave are back after the furious debut album “Into The Grave” with this new killer effort. In my opinion this is the last great album they recorded, because with the following “Soulless” they began to play a form of doom Swedish death metal. Well, not properly doom but extremely slow and a bit boring for my tastes. Anyway “You’ll Never See…” album is fucking brutal again! The production is raw and clearer than on the first album and the songwriting is more mature.

The title track as opener, is the true killer song here. The riffs are awesome for some pure headbanging and the extremely rotten break in the central part is incredible. The band seems was passing through a period of changes in the music style in my opinion: there is always the brutality of the first album but the tempo parts are less fast with an eye to the future evolution. “Now And Forever” is a good example of what I said: the guitars riffs are always fast but the drummer slows down a bit, except for the bass drum.

Probably they wanted to focus their attention on the extremely obscure melodies, like in “Morbid Way To Die” (with a good up tempo during the guitar solo). The refrains are always extremely catchy, not inconsistent like in “Soulless” album, and true fucking good for you neck…The growls are far more powerful and rotten than in their first effort and they seem to come out directly from the underground. “Obsessed” starts fast with some up tempo parts to become obscurely mid-paced, with a fast bass drum. The tempo changes are numerous, and some synth sounds contribute in creating a true obscure aura.

“Grief” song starts as a mid tempo to become an up one. The drums sound is raw and the guitars are like chainsaw in their distortion, in pure Swedish style. At this point my neck is begging for mercy but with “Severing Flesh” I cannot relax: the growls here are inhuman and the whole song is fantastic with some arpeggios and tremolos in the final part. “Brutally Deceased”: already from the title you should understand everything…pure old school Swedish fury with some hellish up tempo sections.

With the dark guitar lines and dismembering up tempo in “Christi(ns)anity” we reach the way out to this nightmare called “You’ll Never Nee…”. An incredibly obscure album…one of the gloomiest I’ve ever listen to. A pleasure for every death metal fan…buy it without fear.

Old School Old School - 80%

demonomania, December 3rd, 2004

This is the Grave many folks grew up with - Sandstrom's vicious naturally brutal growl, catchy riffs that only surface during the chorus, and drumming that, while not brutally fast, still beats the bejeezus out of their later releases.

However, the increased speed and brutality doesn't necessarily make for more memorable songs, and that is the only reason I give this album an 80. I love it, it is near and dear to my heart, and most Grave fans will agree that it is probably in the top two of what they put out, but there are definitely some repetitive tracks in here.

What you do have is some great Old Skool Swedish death, by one of the most enduring bands in the genre. The title song is awesome, just try to avoid necksnappage as Jorgen cookie-monsters, "Heeere, taaaake my haaaaaaand, and walk with me, until the eeeeeennnd...." Wonderful stuff, and the lyrics for this album also provide a good amount of laughter, given some serious grammatical errors and misspellings ala Swedish guys talking about evil stuff. Reading the booklet makes me imagine a bunch of big, hairy characters in black T-shirts in a classroom (sitting in kids' desks), being taught by an obnoxious old woman in spectacles.

TEACHER: OK, class, today's lesson in English for death metal bands is blasphemy. Did everyone look over today's vocabulary lesson?"

CLASS: Yes, teacher.

TEACHER: Ola, let's here a sentence using three of today's blasphemy words.

OLA: Blind you are and dead you'll be, your faith is Christinsanity!

TEACHER: Very good, Ola!

Enough of that. Though Christinsanity is probably my favorite song on here, for all the thrown in laughter and slowed-down prayer, which creates a great atmosphere for lyrics like the above.

Other great tracks include Brutally Deceased, Now and Forever, and Morbid Way to Die, and hey, that's four of eight tracks anyway. The rest are good, just not stick - in - your - head good. A must have for Grave fans or lovers of Swedish death, and not that melodic crap. GRAVE FOREVER!

Classic Swedish Brutality - 85%

Achilles, July 1st, 2004

Grave followed their classic Debut, "Into the Grave" with an equally fearsome, if less recognized album entitled: "You'll Never See...” Grave, for the uninitiated, play Swedish death metal in the vein of Entombed and Dismember, but with a heavier and more malevolent feel.

The songs on "You'll Never See..." are constructed of simple riffs and relatively straightforward compositions, technical death metal, they are not. Grave's charm instead lies in the conviction of their delivery rather than their instrumental prowess. Every song is in fused with an all-consuming, yet organic heft and seething brutality. The tracks are a mix of mid-paced chugging, slow grooves and occasional bursts of speed. The vocals are a fairly deep, guttural growl, but not entirely indecipherable. The drumming is simple but effective, with liberal use of double bass. Guitar solos are short, uncluttered affairs, competent and well placed, but not overly heroic.

The production on “You'll Never See...” is, like the debut, a product of Sunlight Studios. This time around, things are a little clearer but still quite heavy and not overly polished or compressed.

What makes this album great is that Grave’s reach never exceeds their grasp. Grave set out to create a brutally heavy, evil death metal record, and they succeed in spades. The album flows seamlessly from one thick slab of death to the next with unrelenting power. In short, “You’ll Never See...” is a crushing classic.