You Guys Are Too Rough On This One - 70%

brocashelm, March 2nd, 2006

In my totally non-humble opinion, I feel the previous reviewers have been WAY too hard on this live effort from Grave. While I do agree that it's release was questionable (small audience, weird choice for this band at the time) that doesn't address how heavy, raw, and well performed this album is. First of all we get to view Grave in their various guises from demo tape days ("Reborn Miscarriage") to their bulldozing debut album ("Extremely Rotten Flesh," "Haunted," "Into The Grave") to their later, more mid-tempo material ("Soulless") to the questionable stuff that they were touring behind at the time this album wa recorded ("Restrained," "Winternight"). Secondly I reject the idea that the album is boring...the performance is enthusiastic, and the recording is punchy and well balanced, especially considering this was recorded as a trio, with no second rythym guitar for filling out the sound. It's only in the banter between the crowd and band that one realizes ow sparsely attended the show was, but is that the band's fault? It sounds to me like they did their best despite dealing with a low turnout. I admit it would have been nice for Century Media to have done a better job on this, as they could have chosen a higher profile gig, maybe made the package two discs and included a detailed band history kind of booklet, but we all now how cheap this label tends to be! So in conclusion, before you slam this one, compare it to either of the two totally unecessary UNLEASHED live albums Century Media has issued and then tell me how bad this one sucks. Grave made some of the finest recordings European death metal would ever see, and this live album is a decent testament to that fact.