Satisfying! - 85%

SupremeAbstract, November 22nd, 2007

This EP is my first experience with Grave, and I was pretty intrigued when I first popped it into my cd player for a listen. Pure old school death metal plain and simple. Maybe not as fast as a lot of other death metal bands, but with all the catchy hooks you could ever want.

Being over twenty minutes, ‘..And Here I Die… Satisfied’ plays out more like a full length and less like an EP. The songs follow a pretty basic song structure overall but are varied enough to keep you interested throughout. Also everything seems to end appropriately. Nothing feels drawn out just to extend the song length, like some other bands more recent releases*cough*Vital Remains*cough,* and nothing feels cut short just the same.

The overall style of the music is very much that of early Obituary combined with the tone of early era Entombed. Mid-paced, catchy, and energetic, every song stomps along for a few minutes, gets its point across, and ends. Very simplistic really. This is what Six Feet Under could have been if Chris Barnes had dropped the bong and actually started giving a damn about the shit he attached his name to.

The production here is very solid for a release of it’s time. It has a raw in-your-face attitude without being blurry or washed out. It is mixed quite well also, no one instrument is drowned out by another (i.e., you can hear the bass even when the guitars are playing). The instrumentation here isn’t anything special, but it’s not like they suck or anything. I do, however, hear the odd fuck up in the bass from time-to-time, most notably in the bass line early on in “Day of Mourning.” The guitar solos are solid, chaotic, bursts that are peppered throughout the album much like on Morbid Angel’s ‘Altars…’, though not as long.

Overall, this album is a recommended listen to fans of Obituary and early Entombed, and maybe fans of Six Feet Under’s ‘Haunted.’