good stuff - 80%

planiol, May 20th, 2009

This two song EP was recorded during the prime of GBK’s career. Both songs were later re-recorded for the Kosherat album, because the band wanted to get them done with a better production and to make them available to more fans (because this EP is rare as fuck now). I recommend hearing these original versions if you have the chance.

The production here is not that bad. It’s on par with their first full length album. Everything can be heard well. I really like their guitar tone. It’s a pretty muddy distortion, not like the cold crisp sound of Norwegian black metal. It works for them. It sounds good and gives GBK their own sound.

The first song is the better of the two. “Son of the Black Ram” is an interesting song, with some diverse parts. One thing that you will not hear on the re-recorded version of this is Cazz Grant’s drumming. It really makes the song interesting. He does something really strange when he plays the blast beats - he plays triplets on the ride. It sounds awkward but amusing. There is a start-stop kind of refrain part, where you can really notice this. He does a short burst of blasts, with the ride cymbal triplets, and then hits a ride cymbal by itself, followed by a pause. It’s badass.

The song has a major transition about halfway through, where it gets up-beat and kind of punk rock sounding. Then the song sounds like it ends. After that there is a slow outro, which consists of a wicked melody played on the keyboard and guitar. It reminds me of music you would hear while watching an old Italian horror movie. The re-recorded version includes this outro, but they used a different keyboard setting, and to me it doesn’t sound quite as haunting as the 7" version.

“Kingdom of Poison Fruits” is not bad, but does not grab my attention and stick with me like “Son of the Black Ram.” It mostly consists of a punk beat, until the end when we are treated to another trademark GBK slow part. This band was always good for breaking down into wicked slow riffs. I don’t mean break down like hardcore. I mean when the song transitions from fast black metal to a slow and haunting melody. They did that a lot.