An exhausting effort... for the listener too. - 100%

KillerPedrochas, November 20th, 2007

This is the first Gorgut's album I listened, so that, I supose is my reference for this band and the one I like more, too. This doesn't mean any criticism or disconformity with the other albums of the band in any way. Only that this is the one I have listened more times, and my ears are more in habit of this one.

And this is a crucial point with Gorguts and with this album: to give them a chance..., or two, or wathever you need, to accustom yourself to its sound. But please, if you have to give them more than one chance, don't do it in a consecutive manner. It may be exhausting. Specially paying attention on the music and not only hearing it, entails an intellectual effort.

The listener acquainted with the "chaotic" and syncopated sound of jazz music, doesn't will be surprised by this side in the album (and band). But this chaos doesn't flow out from the improvisation (the way it occurs in jazz), but from a calculated and complex structure that takes a shape at the end of the listening. A track by track review will be particularly unsuitable with this album because of this. I like to take it as a backwater on my metal universe of predictable cadences.

The voice of Luc Lemay sounds enough anguished (and howling, of course) to express the general atmosphere of oppression. It could be mostly qualified as intense.

The instrumental work is great. I will be very pleased to listen them on a live show, but I hadn't that chance. I prefer to doesn't appraise each musician one by one since the construction of the music affects to all them as a set and a solo has no any mean here. Just to say that they seem to be excessively prepared to perform what they perform (what are you doing?, try it now!).

At last, I want to clarify that this is not a one to tear apart your neck. Only your brain health.