Hell on a disc - 92%

ISadistikI, February 28th, 2008

This album, for me at least, marks the end of Gorgoroth's glory days. This album and the two that came before it are, by a large margin, the band's more well-known and respected albums, and for good reason. This album stands out from those three as being a bit different. However, it stands on its own as one of the best black metal albums I've ever heard. I assure you you will never hear anything quite like this...this is what black metal is truly about.

This album is just pure hell, that's the only way I can describe it. From the hard-hitting intro of Revelation of Doom to the last notes of The Devil is Calling, you'll feel like you were thrust into hell and stayed there until the album ends. Every member of the band contributed to what makes this album so great.

This is the band's only album with drummer Grim and vocalist Pest. Grim doesn't do anything technically outstanding. What he does do is beat the listener into submission with unrelenting drumming from beginning to end (especially beginning...) his approach to this album was exactly what it needed to be. Pest is one of the best vocalists I have ever heard. He has a shrill shriek that tears your ears apart. Like Grim, the way pest goes about performing on this album is where he really shines. He's not bullshitting here...you can hear the passion going into the vocals. For an example, listen to the latter half of Blood Stains the Circle. The ending of Revelation of Doom is also a worthy mention. Surprisingly enough, you can very often understand what Pest is saying. More often than many other black metal vocalists anyway. Infernus does an amazing job as always. The riffs are brutal and hellish throughout. You can also find alot of melody (see Funeral Procession.) As you'd expect after all of the above, the music itself is generally fast and hard hitting. Though it sometimes takes a back seat to slower songs like Funeral Procession and The Devil is Calling. This adds some variation to the album without letting go of its grasp on you. It is consistantly effective throughout.

You owe it to yourself to listen to this album if you're a black metal fan. Albums like this do not come around often. This embodies what this genre was meant to be...evil in music form.