Few standouts, nothing amazing. - 56%

MutatisMutandis, August 9th, 2008

Before it crosses your mind, the "6" I tacked on the rating is borderline arbitrary. A "57" or "55" would showcase my same sentiments, but such is the spawn of "guestimation" in most of your cases. I'm parodying other metal reviewers, get it? OH LAWD, I'm a basket of laughs. And ironic claims.

Now that we got that cleared up, Gorgoroth is the first black metal band I ever really got into, and while this certainly won't pull in any acclaim, my first exposure to the group of grumpy Norsemen came in the form of 2000's Incipit Satan. Looking back, that album was a steaming diaperload of spastic songwriting, shitty vocals, and overall inconsistency on the parts of all participants. Fortunately, I was young and impressionable enough at the time to misnomer it as "fucking true blue" and began a pilgrimage back to the band's earliest output.

Twilight Of The Idols carries on the tradition established with Destroyer (aka Gorgoroth twists it's impractically thin heel into enjoyable music's nads) and kicks off with the most brutal and repetitive track of the recording session. Fortunately, while the title track of Destroyer blew donkey schlong and Incipit Satan's was only a little bit better, Procreating Satan fucking bulldozes through the hymens of all naysayers and christfags. No ambient bullshit, no build up, just instant anthemic domination. For the first time since Gaahl was introduced to the fold, his heavily distorted style aids the band's approach.

The followup, Proclaiming Mercy is a slower, more methodical track with a relatively elementary vocal pattern that somehow hits home despite it's simplicity. Exit Through Carved Stones is held together by a bleak melody that ends up being the highlight of the release. SUDDENLY: the rest of the band realizes something fishy is going on and immediately rectifies the situation by conducting the derailment-prone Teeth Grinding train to lunge into the remainder of the album and explode. The next memorable track happens to be the completely misplaced and ridiculous outro with the analog organ jam. Of Ice And Movement, for example, is about as engaging as watching dust settle.

Bottom line: Gaahl should get lymphoma.
*ahem*
Bottom line: if you're an established post-Under The Sign Of Hell fan, by all means, pick this up. If your loyalties lie with the gnat orchestrated catchiness of Antichrist or Pentagram, you're better off avoiding this altogether. If you're new to the band, I strongly suggest starting at the beginning.