Surprisingly good! - 90%

BloodyPhalluses, October 7th, 2004

I found this album used in my local record shop, so I figured I'd give it a try. I've heard a lot about Gorgoroth lately, especially because of the whole trial surrounding Gaahl.

The blast beats start right from the beginning. No silly intros, no stalling, no slow starts... we're talkin mach 100 right off the bat. The guitars sound awesome, and Infernus is definitely one of the most talented black metal guitarists around. There are some really awesome dark melodies throughout this album. "Twilight of the Idols" is pure Norwegian black metal with pounding fast drums, and a nice thumping bass tone. Which leads me to my next point: the production. The production here is really well done. It's not overproduced like many black metal bands today, and you can hear each and all the instruments quite well.

Gaahls vocals are pure and hateful. He has a lot of variety in vocal syle. Sometimes there are effects, other times there aren't, sometimes its shrieking, sometimes growling, other times a sort of chant like sounding vocal style. Lots of variety to keep things interesting here on Gaahls part.

My favorite song is "blod og minne" which is a great fast song with some awesome guitar melodies at work. It's a great song to headbang to. In my opinion, the best on the album.

My only complaint here is that it is just way too short. I usually listen to it 3 times in a row simply because 30 minutes of black metal just isn't long enough. Then there is a 50 second outro song which sounds a lot like classical music being played on a really distorted synth set on a strange voicing.

Other than the short length of the album, I definitely recommend this CD to anyone who listens to Black Metal, and wants something that sounds great, but doesn't over-do it.