A Dark but Unnecessary Beginning - 55%

InfinityX, July 23rd, 2012

I'm going to be quick about this one. The only real sensible way you can get the two Gorgoroth demos is the way I got them: by downloading them. And for that reason this is worth a listen. But at the same time it really isn't. The only song on here that doesn't see the light of day again is the intro. And though it's admittedly a great intro, with building dissonant guitars and the gurgling snarls of the hilariously named 'Hat', it’s still just an intro. And no one is really going to miss it.

The next song is Ritual with a stupid but funny title. It seems to be basically exactly the same as on Pentagram but with a pretty thin production. And it's the same deal with Under the Pagan Megalith. A fucking fantastic song, but now that I have Pentagram; I will NEVER listen to this version again. It's the same song, with the same vocalist, but with a worse production. Now, if I saw this demo tape in a record store, I would still buy it, but purely for collector’s value.

But, if you are one of those fans who like their music as under produced as possible, and there’s nothing wrong with that, this may be right up your alley. These are two awesomely written. heavy as hell black metal songs, just made a bit redundant by the subsequent versions on Pentagram. Either way, if you don't have Pentagram yet, this and the Promo demo are worth the download. But really, you’re better off just ordering Pentagram. That album is AWESOME.

For great songs with greater follow ups, A Sorcery Written in Blood gets a 55 out of 100 or a 3 out of 5.