Killer songs & flawless production - 90%

Roswell47, November 10th, 2011

Sometimes I feel like I listen to so much brutal death metal that it's hard for me to get too excited about it anymore. It's not that I don't still love the sub-genre. And it's not that I don't discover and enjoy tons of good albums each year. Don't get me wrong. It's just that the truly great stuff doesn't come along as often as I'd like. However, sometimes having patience can pay-off big time.

Gorgasm fans have been waiting since 2003's Masticate to Dominate for a new and hopefully exceptional album. Damian "Tom" Leski, long-time Gorgasm vocalist and guitarist, has recently resurrected the band with an all-new supporting lineup. With its newest album, Orgy of Murder, Gorgasm has managed to create a work that not only matches its past releases, but may even exceed them.

The songs on Orgy of Murder pick up where Masticate to Dominate left off eight years ago. Gorgasm grooves, blasts, and bludgeons its way through the album's brief half-hour running time while offering little respite to the listener. However, the album is just the right length that it doesn't outstay its welcome. Don't be surprised if you find yourself hitting "play" again as soon as the auditory battering ceases. Orgy of Murder is just that good. The production value is excellent and even stronger than on past releases. Everything cuts through the mix flawlessly. The guitars slice their way through a blur of precise, technical riffs and then switch to pounding grooves with little notice. Solos are virtually absent except during brief moments in songs like "Silence Follows Dismemberment." (A few more guitar leads would have added some welcome variety.) While the bass does stand out in "Exhibit of Repugnance," in most cases it serves the purpose of adding a huge layer of chunky, coagulated thickness to the sonic spectrum. Yet somehow, it never makes things too muddy. The crisp, clear drumming is of the standard tech style with the all-over-the-place diversity one would expect. There are tons of blasts, double-bass, and stop-on-a-dime changes. The vocals are indecipherable Mullen-esque growls that fit with the music perfectly. The production on this album makes all of these elements easy to hear separately, but still blends them into a powerful whole. Thanks to the combination of the killer songs and the flawless production, Orgy of Murder was definitely worth the wait.

I've never been a very big fan of bands that base nearly all of their lyrical content on fantasies about torturing and murdering women. However, Gorgasm is one of the few bands that fall into this category that are actually good enough that I will choose to ignore this issue. That's saying something folks. If you are a fan of anything brutal from the more well-known bands like Suffocation all the way down to the super-underground vomit-gurglers that have only one CD-R demo, you need to hear Orgy of Murder. We've all heard albums like this before, but rarely have we heard it done so well. Gorgasm has given me another album to add to the short list of brutal 2011 releases I can really get excited about.

Originally written for http://www.metalpsalter.com