"Oh my god, its Gojira!" - 90%

HexDemon666, May 14th, 2008

I've always sort of been a fan of groove metal, not necessarily the genre, but merely a few bands within it. Pantera, Lamb of God, Mastodon, etc. You know, those really popular dudes with all of their MTV fandom and such. It wasn't until I listened to Gojira and this album specifically that I actually began to make an effort towards collecting groove metal albums. I've since gotten all of Gojira's albums, but this is by far my favorite.

It starts off with Clone which has some sort of ambient intro (how the fuck else do you describe that?) before just ripping your face off in something that couldn't be called anything but death metal. The song continues on with some groovy guitar noodling before continuing forward in extreme brutality. And get this, about half way through, there's a breakdown! "Oh, how have you forsaken metal, Gojira, you've added a breakdown! ...wait a second, this breakdown kicks ass!" Seriously, I can't even continue reviewing this song because it changes so much, but the whole time, it retains it's amazingly tight, groovy, death metal nature. This is music you fuck to. No, actually, don't. You'd probably hurt someone.

Lizard Skin is very similar to the first song in nature, but otherwise entirely discernable and decently memorable. Then comes Satan is a Lawyer. Don't let the silly name fool you; this song will kick your ass. It starts off with a clean guitar interlude with some spoken lyrics before crushing you with another groovy, breakdown-esque riff, and then back to the clean. The song picks up pace about 2:30-3:00 minutes in.

I think I'm just going to quit while I'm behind. The songs are so amazingly diverse and so intricate, it's impossible to really review them all. Or any, for that matter. Words cannot do them justice. That's not to say that Gojira is made up of some sort of musical geniuses or anything whose work can only be ascribed to divine intervention. It's nothing of the sort. It's just tons of different shit slapped together in such a way that it works. Most of the songs have a general feeling to them: slow and crushing or fast and furious, always groovy. Many, however, have both. It's just the brilliance that is this album, I guess.

There's enough breakdowns and slow, "br00tal" riffing here to appease even the most casual of Hot Topic, deathcore kiddies and enough straight up metal and coherent songwriting to appeal to the strictest and purist of death metal fans. If you don't believe me, then get this and prove yourself wrong. This album has become one of my all-time favorites. Seriously, this is the best thing to come out of France since French Fries, and those came from Belgium.