Gojira - L'enfant Sauvage - 86%

trollhammer666, October 5th, 2012

What a truly enjoyable album. The vocals sound great, from his chaotic bellows to his vicious shouts to his toned down talk-singing, it sounds perfect. One thing I would criticize though is a lot of the lyrics seem to make either no sense, have no flow or have no relativity to the previous verse. The singing and lyrics are a little scattered or seemingly misplaced at times, but they are carried through well with intense guitar riffs and technical rhythm and drumming. The instruments are absolutely mind-blowing, this albums technicality really made up for my disappointment of Meshuggah's new album, Koloss. If you felt that the aforementioned was a slap to the face, you should probably check L'Enfant Sauvage out. You can listen to this album over and over and never get tired of it.

This album has such amazingly strong staples on it such as Mouth of Kala and Born in Winter. Mouth of Kala is easily one of my new favourite songs, the second that drum crashes down in one fell strike as the song starts you know you’re in for a treat. The intro and outro are so hypnotic you will have it stuck in your head for weeks. The guitar is so melodic and heavy, speaking of which, this album is a LOT more melodic than Gojira's previous releases. It sounds good though, nothing against it. A step in a different direction, but everyone does that eventually, and I support it. There are parts to this album where it becomes somewhat repetitive, especially one major repetition throughout the entire disc where they use this sort of very fast, soft, high pitched guitar riff every once and a while over top of their rhythm. It does get a little annoying sometimes since they do it on literally over half the songs. There is one very nice and relaxing instrumental halfway through the album that is very, very catchy, that is basically just this wild sounding loopy guitar riff with a pacing rhythm guitar following it and some keen soft drumming throughout. One of my favourite tracks off the album.

I love this album, I LOVE their other releases as well but I find myself listening to this one far more than their others. A great album altogether, I don't see how anyone could be saddened after hearing this. Bonus: it only costed me $13, compared to most $20 new releases. I tip my hat to you French bastards; you guys sure do make good music.

- Trollhammer