Black Metal Gods at Wacken! - 99%

xconvoyx, March 22nd, 2012

A near perfect performance of true Norwegian black metal art with a line-up consisting of Gaahl, King, Teloch, Ice Dale, and Barker. Each participant of this blasphemous gathering gives their full menace and aggression to the rather submissive and enthralled crowd. The crucified nude sacrifices, the flames, and the smoldering red light are just splattered brains to the wonderful, unrelenting music being unleashed to blow your head off! The chosen songs flow amazingly, giving continuous, non-stop deliverance of aural heaven (...or rather hell).

I never get tired of watching Gaahl bestow his unholy blessing to the crowd. I even think his performance here surpasses that of Black Mass Krakow, which this entire gig is derived from. King, Teloch, and Ice Dale wield pure menace, swinging their axes while Barker pounds the drums with precise killing capacity. One thing about King though is his fading corpse paint..tsk..tsk..tsk...a sad sight for me. Another disappointment for me is the limited camera shots of the group as a whole and the crowd banging their heads away.

I'm a fan of Gaahl and the music he makes, whatever or whomever he is with. He chooses his company well, which makes me a fan of them as well. It is because of them that I'm writing this, my first ever review.

All in all, this is an excellent aural and visual delight for all believers of the black metal art!

Grab this when you can...as we await your black metal resurrection, oh mighty Gaahl!