Demo Production Makes This Demo Perfect - 100%

FlamesOfOrigin, May 21st, 2009

In 1998, one of the coolest metal demos came out. I have a soft side for 90's demos, due to my love for that particular sound quality.

Goatwhore - Serenades To The Tides Of Blood

This demo has atmosphere.

This is my favorite material they've done, their first demo. The music goes into many different extreme musical styles, especially 90's style black/death metal. The vocals are done by the SOILENT GREEN singer and former ACID BATH guitarist, not familiar with the bassist or the drummer on this recording but the drumming shreds. Lots of lightning fast blast beats that kind of remind me of ANGELCORPSE.

Anyone who listens to blackened death metal knows what they're going to get with song titles like PERVERSIONS OF THE ANCIENT GOAT, and GRAVEYARDS AND DEAD ANGELS. But unlike some bands of that genre GOATWHORE go through many different speeds in their songs. The slower songs create great melody, mood and atmosphere, while other songs are full of speed and guitar crunch that sound like you're head is up to the amp.

Sometimes the vocals kind of remind me of Abbath from Immortal, and the guitar playing sounds similar to Acid Bath demo era songs. There is some good epic melody going on in some of the songs, one of my favorite songs on here is a song called LYCANTHROPIC MOON, it is very cool sounding and is pretty much a black metal song, kind of sounds like old ULVER to me.

In some songs the singer has a Tom G. Warrior, Into The Pandemonium, sort of clean vocal that has that melancholy chill to it.

I could go on and on describing each song, but what you're going to hear is some excellent black/death metal with lightning fast blast beats, ghoulish vocals, the great guitar tone of Sammy Duet from ACID BATH, including some of the crunchiest riffs I've ever heard.

I'm sure there are many metal fans aware of GOATWHORE, but how many of them are aware of this demo?