Black Metal Repetition - 20%

VNVNV, March 5th, 2007

I like all kinds of good music, it can be depressing, melodic, death, black, doom, you name it. The point to remember is that it can be a lot of different things including black metal. Theosophy to me sounds your typical black metal album that can be summed up as the following: Take some fast repetitive drums, add your speedy repeating guitars to it, fill that with your typical incomprehensible harsh black metal vocals and you get another production.

As you might expect I did not really enjoy this album, but I have to admit that I never have been and probably never will be a big fan of NS Black metal. If you are a fan of this genre then you might be enjoying this release.

Some of the things that I do like in this album are the softer periods that exist on songs like “Fire On Me” and “Medusa Dark veneance”. I think the combination of hard and soft works well, and it is also nice to be able to understand some lyrics once in a while.

Also the use of some additional instruments like the piano in “Aghelastos Petra” and “A Smile” fits the mood of the songs perfectly, as does the nice acoustic moments in “Lack of Magia Naturalis”.

Overall the album as a whole really sounds to monotone and way to repetitive to grab my attention.