Still funny - 95%

Rasc, January 6th, 2013

Gangrena Gasosa was started in the peripheral zone of Rio de Janeiro, as a joke to open for Ratos de Porão. As the band themselves have already said in interviews, the idea was to mock Afro-Brazilian religions to drag the attention off their music, since they were allegedly bad players. The original idea was expanded to everything regarding Rio de Janeiro, getting to this great album, with themes such as suburbian issues, posers and Satan.

They may have been bad players indeed, but well, this is crossover thrash, and their previous albums really had everything a good crossover band must have, such as good drumming, fast guitars and heavy bass lines. Well, the impression I have is that they were trying to sophisticate their music through the years. Se Deus é 10, Satanás é 666 shows the band's changing their original perspective of sound over time, trying to adapt to modern thrash metal, at the same time, sticking even more to their Afro-Brazilian motif. This new experimentation doesn't have a bad result, but it's very different from the sound they used to play at Welcome to Terreiro. In the end, their new approach surprised me a lot, and positively.

I really miss their lo-fi crossover. This album has a very bright production, which I personally think they should have stuck to their raw but well-produced crossover sound, that switched to this groovy thrash metal album. It's understandable why they brightened their production though, maybe this was on the same direction that made them use more complex riffs and fancier guitar effects, which wasn't bad after all. A new element in this album (maybe not new, but incomparably stronger now) is the use of the Afro-Brazilian elements present in their lyrics, interludes and themes in music, exemplified by groovy parts, very regular repeating 4/4 timing and a stronger presence of alternative percussion.

I'm impressed by how fine they fit thrash metal and Afro-Brazilian music altogether, these styles being like water and oil. The metal element was surely more present, but we could still get a feel among their screamed and spoken vocals. We could almost feel like in the middle of a mass. Their groove metal influences in this album are clear, shown through their fast changes in tempo and fast picking in their muffled guitars. But, also, there are some songs that still have some reminiscence of their crossover times, like the short and fast song Fist Fuck Agrédi and the interesting change of rhythms in Se Deus É 10 Satanás É 666.

After all, this called more attention to their humour, and Gangrena still keeps their name as one of the most iconic bands in Brazil, with a bizarre sense of humour that marked a generation of the underground scene in Rio de Janeiro.