Silent Miracles aka "Gamma Ray - The Ballads" - 69%

Wez, November 4th, 2004

This is a little rarity nowadays it seems, so I'd snap it up quickly should you happen to spot it. What it is, is a small collection of four Gamma Ray ballads. It's quite a good listen. We have two original tracks, a reworked version of an older song, and an album track from "Land of the Free". The first track, "Miracle" is an extended, ballad version of "Man on a Mission" from Land of the Free. It's got the same verses and chorus, though minus the blazing speed, and a few bits here and there that are different. It's not one to listen to in place of the album song, but it gives a nicely opposite perspective of that song. The highlight of the E.P. is coming up with "The Silence '95". Everything just sounds bigger on this version, with a clearer production and more power. Also on this version we have Kai on vocals, rounding off a much improved rerecording of an already excellent song. "Farewell" is by far my favourite Gamma Ray ballad and sits in this little collection very comfortably, while of course found elsewhere too, it's still a logical pick for this disc.

To be honest, I'm not too keen on this last song, it's very softly played, practically all done with piano and has a pretty slow, tranquil feel. But I just don't think they quite pull this one off right and it tires me instead of rousing any feelings from within and all that an emotional ballad is meant to do. Regardless, this is a nice little E.P. that will go nicely in your Gamma Ray collection, "The Silence '95" is definitely the one that must be heard from this, especially if you are a fan of the original.