Hey, It Really Does Sounds Like Helloween!! - 93%

elfo19, February 10th, 2009

Yes, it most certainly does sound like Helloween, so if you hate Helloween then you probably aren't going to enjoy this album. However, if you like Helloween then this is probably going to be right up your alley. Basically what we've got here is some aggresive power metal performed with some great energy. While the band's songwriting and skills may not be as good as other power metal bands, they do make up for it in their energy and enthusiasm.

Just in case you're wondering, this is the only Gamma Ray album I have, so I can't compare studio versions to live versions. But, I can talk about these live versions. Of the whole batch there is not a bad song but the song that really stuck out as better than all the others was the epic ten minute long 'Heavy Metal Universe' which features some very captivating vocal improvisations in an extended audience particpation bit. You know the deal, the vocalist makes a silly noise and the audience repeats. They're usually corny as hell but this one here for some reason is just classic.

Gamma Ray is not mindblowing. They don't play the fastest, they don't write the best songs, they don't have the best guitarist or the best vocalist and they don't bring anything new to the table, but if you're looking for some good power metal which can keep you entertained while you're waiting for the next Helloween or Iced Earth album to come out, then this album here just might do the trick. You know what you're going to get, and you can be almost one-hundred percent sure that you're going to like it, so add it to your collection.

Also note the full name of the album is quite entertaining: Hell Yeah!!! The Awesome Foursome And The Finnish Keyboarder Who Didn't Want To Wear His Donald Duck Costume- Live In Montreal.