Heading For Tomorrow B-side Material - 86%

Kai4prez, March 2nd, 2005

Yes. That's what I like to call the contents of this EP. The songs on here sound like they could easily fit into the album, but they are a bit weaker than the songs on there. Perfect b-side material, in other words. That's not saying much though, knowing how excellent the album is.

Logically, the first song is "Heaven Can Wait", now re-recorded with the new lineup featuring Uli Kusch on drums and Dirk Schl├Ąchter on guitar in addition to Kai. The song isn't much different from the original, but I definitely prefer the original. The vocals are the weakest spot. If you read my review of Heading For Tomorrow, you know how much I praised Ralf's vocals there. I just don't get the same feeling here.

"Who Do You Think You Are?" is a catchy mid-tempo song that was also released as a singe before the album came out. Nothing special about this song. Probably the weakest on the EP. The ballad-like "Sail On" is a bit better, but it's nowhere near "The Silence". Not that you would expect that anyway. The chorus is pretty catchy and I really love the mid-part og the song. Excellent vocals by Scheepers there.

No doubt "Mr. Outlaw" is the best song on here. It's really brilliant, with great verses and an excellent sing-along chorus. A perfect example of how good short and catchy songs can be. But the best part is definitely the solo-section. The first thing I thought when I first heard the first solo was "Dragonforce - Valley Of The Damned". It's very similar. The drums kick inn after some time and you get a shitload of speed and power thrown in your face. This is really a taste of future Gamma Ray. Brilliant song, that could as well have been on the album. Well, it is, as a Japanese bonus track, but that doesn't really count.

The last song is something completely different. It's a cowboy instrumental with a silly spoken intro. Pretty funny, though. As for the song, it lasts for almost four minutes, with not much variety, but it doesn't drag on either. It's a great song that suits it's name perfectly. The melody really gives a feeling of a lonesome cowboy riding through the prairie.

Overall this EP is pretty good, and I recommend it to anyone who loves Heading For Tomorrow and wants more of the same kind of material. However, this is not something you will come across in your local store. eBay is probably your only option, but don't hesitate if you should actually find it. Otherwise you can just buy the remastered versions of Heading For Tomorrow and Sigh No More, and you will get these songs as bonus tracks, except the re-recorded version of Heaven Can Wait. There is also a third option. I don't think Kai would mind if you downloaded these songs.