Gama Bomb Grows Up?! - 95%

DMTrickster, September 4th, 2013

Gama Bomb isn't known as a very 'mature' band. Maturity surely not is their claim to fame. However after their first 3 albums, some variety was needed. While their third album (Tales from the Grave in Space) was good and fun, it lacked a sense of variety in it's overall sound. Gama Bomb has finally decided to get some bigger boy pants on. They then took the scissors and cut off the bottom of those pants. In 'short', they matured only a little. However it was enough.

Lyrically, they've matured vastly in both genre and writing. Sadly the zombies are gone. But that's hardly a detraction when they already have enough zombie related songs to make a full album with. They actually brandish 'intelligence' with their song Matrioshka Brain. A subject matter that I had no idea about until I listened to this song. Thanks Gama Bomb. You actually taught me something!

As for their sound, this is the best produced album they've made. Their previous album was fine and good, but the back end of it was a tad bit clouded. They've simply fixed that here. The only issue to possibly be found is the vocals. Philly Byrne unfortunately had a surgery on his vocal chords before recording this album. He can still sing as well as ever... except with hitting the high notes. There aren't really any attempts to even do so. I don't blame him. But those high notes he could hit did add an extra element of silliness which I will both miss and can do without.

To summarize, is this Gama Bomb's best album? Yes. Hands down. While not as 'fun' overall as Citizen Brain (which was just mayhem), this does offer the most variety that altogether makes for a more complete album experience. Other than the ridiculously short songs purely for comedic purposes, every song has a purpose. It is in no way a concept album, however this is certainly much easier to enjoy overall than Citizen Brain.

General Score: B-
This is pretty darn friendly to casual metal fans and possibly a good place for non-metal fans to jump in and enjoy. While not nearly the best introduction into the genre, it does showcase several good elements that their previous albums haven't touched. This album is still fast but also a bit more groovy than their previous offerings.

Personal Score: A
Much like other Gama Bomb stuff, I listen to it quite frequently. Maybe even more than some other albums that I would rate even higher. However, I can't give it an A+. Gama Bomb's albums are really fun to listen to, I just cant rank them amongst my absolute favorites. I really hope they continue down this path though. I certainly respect the hell out of them.