Weird and wonderful - 89%

MikeyC, March 25th, 2007

Damn this is some weird shit!

Okay, a little back story first. I am a huge fan of Meshuggah. I have all of their releases, plus their EP's, and I enjoy all of it, especially their work from "Chaosphere" onwards. They are one of my favourite bands. As I was starting to get their work, I had heard of Fredrik Thordendal's Special Defects, but didn't really think too much of it, and subsequently forgot all about it.

It wasn't until a few months ago, when I've had all of Meshuggah's work for a while, that I remembered about Fredrik Thordendal's side project. I was suddenly interested, and looked it up on this site. I noticed it was just one song split into many short songs (similar to Meshuggah's "Catch 33"). I went onto MySpace, heard a few tracks from there, and I was instantly keen to get it. From what I heard, and from the reviews posted here, I knew it was going to be bizarre. So, a good friend of mine managed to get it for me off eBay, the original 1997 issue, which I found out was no longer in production, so I was very grateful that she managed to do this for me.

So, that's the story of how I obtained it. Now onto the music itself.

"Sol Niger Within" is one of the hardest albums to decipher you will ever have the opportunity to hear. Seeing as Fredrik Thordendal is the guitarist for Meshuggah, and Meshuggah's music is full of polyrhythms, you know this album isn't going to be conventional in any way. That's where the inaccessability lies...the music is so random, so all over the place, it really isn't one to headbang to. Yet the music fits into it's own unique pattern. You can definitely hear the Meshuggah and jazz influences throughout the album, which makes for one brain-warping journey. If you've ever heard music from a band called Spastic Ink, this is similar in technicality, but this is more jazzy.

Onto the vocals...hmmm. Well, Tomas Haake (Meshuggah drummer) does most of the vocals here...he sounds like an Englishman in severe chronic pain, by the sounds of his tormenting voice! According to the CD booklet, he is the "psychonaut's" voice. It's not regular in any form of metal, which gives the oddness of this music another strange dimension. Fortunately, it's not annoying in any way, otherwise the entire album would be shit. Fredrik does some vocals as well, which are mostly spoken word pieces scattered around the album.

As for the lyrics, they are very indistinguishable, and heavily thought-out. For almost all of the album, I have no clue as to what the lyrics are trying to mean. This is also Meshuggah's influence coming out here, except more extreme. For example, take the track "Solarization", with the lyrics: "I've become the nuclear image of eternity, I'm the original stuff, all the universes find their pattern in my being, for I'm the cosmic infinitesimal". What the fuck is he trying to say? Maybe some people can figure it out, I'm just too lazy/stupid to understand. The CD booklet is also filled with quotes from different people, which are an interesting read, but don't do anything for the "storyline" of the album.

Now for the BAD part: seeing as I own the original 1997 release, there are two tracks not listed here: Track 20 "Cosmic Vagina Dentata Organ" and track 22 "Magickal Theatre .33." In the re-releases, they have been omitted. Now I know why. They SUCK! They both mostly consist of some very annoying church organ, which follow absolutely no pattern or consistency whatsoever. They do not fit the flow of the album in any way, as it sounds as if they're just stuck in there randomly. I think the church organs are impromptu and ad-libbed, but they should've thought about it much more. Honestly, I'll go as far to say as they just don't make sense. The only good thing about it is that they realised and rectified the problem in the re-releases.

As usefulidiot42 stated in his review, this song-album is easily the most inaccessible piece of music you will ever hear. For people who like music with straight-forward time signatures, do not buy this. For people who like music with normal riffs, do not buy this. For people who like music with regular vocals, do not buy this. For people who like lyrics that are underatandable, do not buy this. For people who like normal songs with a definite beginning and ending, do not buy this. As you can tell, this album isn't for everybody. To be honest, it isn't really for anybody! Only those with an open mind and can accept different styles and variations of music and vocals can really appreciate the effort, technicality and hard work put into this piece of music.

So, in conclusion, this album isn't for anyone. While it isn't perfect, it's really an enjoyable piece of music. Seeing as tracks 20 and 22 (the shitfest church organ songs) from the original are omitted from the re-releases, I will try and get version 3.33. But, whichever version you are lucky enough to get your hands on, this musical journey is a bizarre and hypnotic experience.

Best tracks: Well, hard to say. Everything before track 20 (on the original issue) and after track 22 is great.