Slave To Forgotten Tomb. - 85%

Perplexed_Sjel, November 1st, 2007

I'm sure i've stated this before, but i'm glad Forgotten Tomb decided to show some creativity in terms of the vocals. Whilst i'm a fan of the distorted screams that black metal bands so often use, variation in vocals is perhaps a priority when a band progresses in sound, which Forgotten Tomb have obviously done since the days of their first demo in the year 2000.

Despite the fact that the first three full-lengths came out one year after the other, the band still progressed in sound. To me, they've continued to take strides since the release of 'Songs To Leave' a few years ago. The latest full-length, 'Negative Megalomania' showed an ability to chop and change things when they saw fit. I thought it was an extremely bold and brave move, but one that they pulled off. I loved the vocals, in particular.

So, here we have 'Love's Burial Ground'. A pinnacle release in the depressive black metal genre. Though that could be said about any of the Forgotten Tomb releases. They have continued to head this genre and it's easy to see their appeal. The way in which they appear to be cool, calm and collected when playing. Everything is in it's right place. Song writing is at it's peak and musicianship is a particularly bright star.

Forgotten Tomb, aside from the latest album, are at their musical peak here. It's not particularly fast and aggressive, like previous albums. But it flows with an ease and class that very few black metal bands can achieve. Steady build-ups are at the foreground of Love's Burial Ground. Slow, progressive songs are fitting. It creates a better atmosphere and the vocals, although the biggest downfall in my eyes, adapt well to the slow style. This enhances the atmosphere and generally makes this a more accessibly album to the masses.

Instrumentally, Forgotten Tomb are on top of their game. Percussion elements are spot on. They're punchy and subtly aggressive. No longer do Forgotten Tomb seem over the top or in a rush, everything appears to be well thought out. Diverse and depressive by nature, Forgotten Tomb are on to a clear winner. The introduction of short interludes are welcome, they inspire the music and suicidal feelings behind the record. The addition of different sounding instruments, like the piano on 'House of Nostalgia' are welcome as well. To me, the piano often has a very sad sound, this fits perfectly well into the soundscapes of Forgotten Tomb.

Thankfully, this full-length isn't left behind, doesn't fail to live up to expectations and is highly emotive. When Forgotten Tomb do decide to pack their music with raw emotion like they have done here, they will always come out superior. Highlights: Slave To Negativity, House Of Nostalgia and Alone.