Amazing. - 100%

HowlingMoon666, October 20th, 2012

Forest of Shadows is without a doubt one of the greatest doom metal bands in the world, competing for first place with Swedish doom metallers Draconian.

Forest of Shadows is one of those bands that can bring you to the verge of tears with their music and lyrics even if you pretend to be the strongest fucker who roamed the Earth. You cannot resist the assault on your memories and tears keep falling against your will down to the floor. This is a great gift for a doom metal band in my view.

"Eternal Autumn" is the best song on this ep. This should be the official doom metal anthem in all countries in the world. It's atmospheric and so damn well built without any gap in-between. The song flows smoothly for about 9 minutes and a half, a short period of time for such a masterpiece. This song should be 10 hours. I' m not sure you wouldn't want it to be 10 days after listening to it of course, if you are a doom metal fan or just an emotional music lover. The lyrics as presented on this site are chaotic without the needed punctuation marks, so you better follow them as the song flows on. This will lead you to the utmost experience. It will lead you to tears.

This band can manipulate the soul, at least mine. I dreamed about my dying girlfriend after listening to this song. I awoke crying, calling her in the middle of the night just to tell her how much I love her. Forest of Shadows made it. It brought me face to face with my fears, helping me to prevail over them.

You probably know very well, all of you, that doom metal is a genre that is quite narrow and deprived of originality sometimes. With "Where Dreams Turn to Dust" , Forest of Shadows succeeded what Draconian did with their demo "The Closed Eyes of Paradise"; to break the boundaries and bring something new to this old-fashioned genre.

"Of Sorrow Blue" is the next gem in line, gloomy and stern with something strange luring inside it. I would call this band's genre melodic doom metal. Their riffs are too well-crafted and not the peculiar, ordinary doom metal riffs. Their guitar sound is something near to a weeping violin. It has beautiful atmospheric parts with acoustic guitars and breaks of a splendor I cannot relate into words.

I gave them the maximum rating. I do not regret it.

Excellent - 98%

Sharkbait, May 12th, 2008

It isn't very often when an album hits me emotionally. Forest of Shadows does this very well in this EP. They aren't a generic doom metal band, I feel. This EP has some foreign sounds for the genre. Acoustic guitars are often added, same with other instruments (such as a flute in the song Eternal Autumn). These other instruments mix beautifully. Each song is very similar, but unique enough to enjoy. The atmosphere created is overwhelming at times. The song Wish got a hold of me the most. From the first second to the last, you are in a new world. A very beautiful, but sad, song. By the end of it, I am in tears almost every time.

The guitar is very good. It is very nicely written. Same goes for all of the other instruments. I absolutely love the vocals. He has a very nice voice that matches perfectly with this kind of music. The sound quality is good. The lyrics are nicely written, they're very poetic. Wish is the best song on this EP. Here's a sample of the closing lyrics; the highlight of the song:

"...Still I dream, but now I know,
I dream a lie, so I close my eyes and I sigh,
A life of shattered dreams, I can no longer bear,
I enter thee eternal sleep."

The only bad thing about this album is that it can get boring near the middle of the last song. All three songs are fairly slow, which can make the listener feel like it's dragging on. Since it is slow, it is very relaxing.

They definably stand out among other doom metal bands. This EP is my favorite recording out of the genre. I highly recommend this one.

WOW! - 100%

grimdoom, May 3rd, 2008

Spell binding and sheer brilliance are the only ways to describe this EP. The atmosphere of this album is nothing short of awe inspiring. The music hits you with a wall of hopelessness and beauty that you simply can't tear yourself away from. This is by far one of the absolute BEST Doomdeath Metal releases of all time.

For starters, the production is ok but could have been better; but the three songs contained within don't suffer for it. The guitars are thick and moody. There is very little if any crunch in their sound; however, they do have some good mournful leads. The bass is more or less buried in the mix except for when it’s in an intro/outro or quieter moment in any of the songs.

The drums are bombastic, in an artsy way. The keyboards only add to the dense atmosphere created by the guitars. There is a flute and violin used to very good effect as well. The vocals are both clean and grim. The cleans are heavily accented and have some reverb/delay on them. The grim vocals fit the music perfectly and sound as though they have some reverb on them as well.

Over all, the only true drawback is that this is just and EP instead of a full album. The originality and passion displayed on these three songs is breath taking. It’s a shame that its follow up was so lackluster. This is highly recommended to all!

Forest of Shadows - Where Dreams Turn to Dust - 99%

Unsilent_Storms, October 10th, 2006

Every now and then in ones lifetime, one is presented with things that touch you so deep inside, for better or for worse, your life is changed forever. In a world so automated and predictable, listening to this 3 song ep by Forest of Shadows took me away from the daily task of life into a world all of my own, where I experienced music that brought me close to tears.

In this ode to love, and having it taken away, the quality of both the music and the production are top notch. Where to start? How to describe this music that has me so enthralled and yearning for so much more! The music is so hauntingly beautiful, weaving in between acoustic guitar passages with clean vocals to deep growling vocals accompanied of electric guitar riffs that seem more like violins crying.

“Where Dreams turn to Dust”, consists of 3 songs, the shortest clocking in at 8:22, one could thing this is a bad thing, when done in a cheesy predictable way a song this length could seem like an eternity, but when done with such class and beauty, it is not nearly enough.

The first track is “Eternal Autumn”, as soon as it starts with its medieval flute intro, so hauntingly perfect, you almost feel like you are on top of the tower of a Castle hundreds of years ago, gazing away into a never ending forest, this is interrupted by a sudden lament, a love story told in 2 different voices, a clean one and a demonic growl which tells us the story of a women dying in her lovers arms to great effect, you can certainly feel the distress and agony of this man as his beloved dies in hi arms.

Where Dreams Turn to Dust, closes out with 2 other very long songs, “Wish” and “Of Sorrow Blue” which is a whopping 11 minutes and 30 seconds long, and all I can think of as the last song fades into silence is I want more! It’s not enough!

If I had to compare this band to other bands for comparisons sake it would be October Tide, Katatonia, early Opeth and early Anathema. The majesty of Forest of Shadows though is precisely that. This work can stand proud next to the before mentioned giants music wise, concept wise and lyrics wise, it is well crafted melancholic doom metal that should be in every doom fanatics collection!

An astounding effort from an overlooked band - 97%

Xeper, May 31st, 2003

From the very opening, the ambient folky melodies had me convinced I'd bought the right album, and boy was I right. We have here 3 songs (which nevertheless clock in at EP length, little under half an hour) which bleed with emotion, talent, and songwriting. Instead of riding the same slow riff like a lot of doom bands for minutes on end and moaning monotonously, these guys throw in tons of sad and heavy riffs that would make October Tide proud, while layering on top of them gorgeous melodic leads, whether they be electric or done on acoustic guitars. They have those soaring leads which, although not overly complex, pick just the right notes so that the guitar practically weeps, something I've only heard bands like Katatonia do (not that they sound overly similar, per se, they both just have that exquisitely tasteful note selection in the guitar department that so few bands can really nail). But unlike newer Katatonia, these guys keep it heavy while still morose. The singer does some clean singing which, although somewhat low, never falls into the category of cartoonish goth singers, while at other times opting for screams/growls where they best complement the songs, so plenty of versatility there. The drum sound left me feeling like a dumbass, because I'm a drummer and when I first put the cd on I immediately liked how the drums were perfectly audible but not in the least overproduced, great balance between bass and snare, slightly soft snare tone fit the music perfectly, and so on, until I read that it was actually a drum machine, and I was even more impressed because you seriously can't tell just by listening. So don't be afraid of some cheap-sounding Casio crap, none of that here. The minimal use of keyboards and violins(only once or twice) are almost unnoticeable but succeed in adding atmosphere without approaching the typical overbearing melodrama that many goth bands suffer from. Brilliant songwriting, while the songs may be long they're never too long, they're well-written so that no minute is wasted, they're not long for the sake of being long, they just happen to be songs that take time to unfold without being pretentious and "oh look we're so epic" like some other bands I won't name. Fantastic release here, well worth your money if you're looking for a unique doom metal band with just enough melody to not sound bland, and perfectly balanced songwriting to match.