Funny little thing - 80%

PazuzuZlave, May 3rd, 2006

Is it me, or are EP’s and singles often released under the incorrect name? For instance, take this disc. It shouldn’t be called “Trollhammaren”, it should be named after any of the other tracks. Trollhammaren (the track) is by far the worst offering from Finntroll ever, with its repeated dullness and simplistic construction. It’s too basic in style and falls flat compared to the other songs. Any other, and I mean a-n-y other song from “Nattfödd” could’ve been chosen as the opener here. The selling point of this EP would be the bonus material.

“Hemkomst” is a fast, violent tune. I love that kind of single-string riffage where they just let go at full speed, almost sounding like they would constantly worry a little if the strings hold up. The riffs really take the cake, without them this would be pretty dull. “Trollhammaren”, the track, has a lot to learn from this one. Keyboards are used in a more subtle fashion than before and do not take over the music in any way, but rather exist as a useful aid to the otherwise beautiful music. “Skog” reminds me of older Finntroll. This could’ve been on “Jaktens Tid”, which is a very welcome return, at least in my book. All the elements “Jaktens Tid” was built on, this song contains. There’s the ongoing synth and simplistic riffs with minor alteration driving it forward the whole time. This is the first release where we hear the new vocalist Wilska scream. I’d say he does a stellar job with the growling/screaming on this whole release. This is also the last album the lyrics are written in a correct method.

“Försvinn du som lyser” was included as an acoustic version on the “Visor om Slutet” album. I really liked the whole campfire mood about it, but when they turned it into a death metal rampage; this is where it really fulfils its purpose. Being a blistering attack upon the listener, there’s no way this can pass unnoticed ‘cause it really craves for your attention. This song contains pretty much everything you could look for in a performance by the band and while it may sound a little punk-ish at times, it really doesn’t bother me at all. The lyrics are sweet here too, take a look at this little fragment:

“Ett skrik nu ekar, midnatten vrålar
Svart ondska himmelen målar
Brutit sig loss, sina bojor lämnat
Snart gamla onddåd hämnat”

Translation:
A scream now echoes, the midnight growls
Black malice paints the sky
Set itself loose, its chains have left
Soon old wickedness will avenge

In this spat-out verse, Wilska sounds like a madman. These are pretty strong lyrics in Swedish; Poetic yet disturbing. It’s also far off from their usual lyrical approach. No fairytale here, just eternal evilness. “Hel Vete” continues the trollfest and drives it into near perfection. This is one interesting song. Seriously, its sonic expression drives your mind into a whole other place while listening, and suddenly an invitation to a party out in the woods sounds very appealing. The great rhythms in the last song makes you want to take this disc for another spin in the player over and over again. This is an absolute must-buy, with the title-track being the only setback. But you get that anyway when buying “Nattfödd”, so try to see this as something else. A compilation, if you will.