somehow needless - 75%

LordPain, October 31st, 2004

The „Trollhammaren“ EP of Finntroll includes a new version of a old song „Försvinn Du Som Lyser” from the “Visor Om Slutet“ acoustic album and 4 new Songs one song “Trollhammaren” is also of the next album “Nattfödd“. The EP has a total play time of 17:10 minutes which is very short but the playtime of a normal Finntroll album is also just 30 – 40 Minutes.
The play time of 17:10 minutes would be okay when all songs would be great but the aren’t, only Trollhammaren, Hemkomst and Försvinn Du Som Lyser are really good and the other two are just average. The new singer Tapio Wilska does a good job but I like the vocals of Katla more than his vocals.
The first track “Trollhammaren” starts with a Keyboard intro an becomes a typical but not so fast Finntroll song, which gets at the end the “normal” Finntroll speed. Before the speed gets faster there is one guitar solo, which is somehow really untypically for Finntroll. This song is very good adapted for concert between fast or normal (also fast) Finntroll songs because the audience can bellow the refrain etc. which isn’t possibal at every Finntroll song. 08/10 Points
At the second tracks the Keyboards are in the foreground and the track has the typical Finntroll speed. Nothing special but of course very good 08/10 Points it’s souns like a song from the first album.
The third and the fifth tracks are the two bad tracks on this EP. The third track are a midtempo track, which is really epic and somehow untypically for Finntroll but it’s sounds in the other way very familiar. This song doesn’t create the typical Finntroll felling, their of course Keyboards in this song but it hasen’t the Polka and Folk influence but it isen’t a bad track just different form their normal track. 07/10 Points
The last song is in my opinion really bad, you hear strong Jazz (or something else) elements and the track has nothing in common with other Finntroll tracks. But this is my opinion and clinical the music isn’t so bad. 06/10 Points
The fourth track “Försvinn Du Som Lyser” is in my opinion to fast for normal hearing at a concert it is a very good song but when you normally hear this song it’s just too fast and destroy the atmosphere of the original. This is still a good song but not so good like the original 08/10

Result:
In my opinion it’s better to buy the latest album “Nattfödd“ instead this EP. Their are in my opinion just two new great tracks on it and one of them is also at the “Nattfödd” album. But totally Finntroll maniacs could be interesst in the fifth track where Finntroll obviously use Jazz elements an in the new version of “Försvinn Du Som Lyser”. All songs on this EP have a own style Finntroll music I guees this shall address as much as possible consumers !