Mystical, Gloomy and Bleak - 90%

Winterblut, July 7th, 2013

This is the result and the consequence when the French and Swedish black metal scene gather under one depressive cloud of gloom. From what I have noticed in the past decade, placing the sight over the French and Swedish modern black metal scene, I've observed that it is growing with numerous remarkable atmospheric/depressive black metal projects despite the existence of other useless junk in the scene, so to speak. Obviously, listening to depressive black metal became incredibly boring, for how repeated the riffs are, and periodically the same minor and major chords are used by most of the bands, yet comes the music that takes you with a journey and conquer the space in your fragile mind, and it takes you to a vision of hope, then overwhelms you with hopelessness and gloom. This is what happened to me after placing my hands on this piece and giving the chance for my ear to hear it and my mind to embrace the essence behind it. I have been waiting for music like this especially after listening to Feigur's "I, Pestilence" and Lustre's "They Awoke to the Scent of Spring", and thankfully this release was like a cold breeze blew across my heart and soul.

To compare both of the bands, Graf von Feigur's Feigur have rawer touches than Nachtzeit's Lustre. Nachtzeit's main conceptions are focused with atmosphere, ambiance, and the guitar's distortion with keys to cover the background of his music, while Feigur's music has less atmosphere, more solo guitars, repetitive rhythms, and apathetic drums as most of the bands are. Both of the songs are offering an insight into both of Feigur's and Lustre's music with elements derived from the modern depressive/suicidal black metal scene and classical essential touches that are mostly audible in Lustre as it was previously played in the past releases.

However, the first song in this split is "Le Mâne" by Feigur; 7 minutes and 33 seconds of typical depressive black metal. There's nothing new in this song offered by Graf von Feigur, but still it's an overwhelming track with an enormous feeling of longing, melancholy, depression, and grief. I am personally gratified with this song, especially the arpeggio part in the middle of it. The track's composed skillfully and the drums gust in the ears while the guitars drone in the mind. The vocals are suicidal, even though the screech and cries of the vocals are typical and perhaps most of you have possibly already heard the same in another project, I still recall and respectably bow to the sorrow and pain of Graf's screams.

The second and last song here is "The First Beauty" by Lustre. It reminded me a lot of his previous songs such as "The Light of Eternity, Echoes of Transcendence and Like Flowers of Gold". This piece somehow is faster than their third full-length, which was released previously before this split. The vocals are echoed and delayed, coloring the background of the song. Moreover, it's giving the song a majestic feeling in addition to the atmosphere and keys. The rest of the instruments are audible, yet it feels like your ears desire more guitar gain, but this is Nachtzeit's signature, his rule to overcome the cage of the mind with brilliant atmospheric soundscape, and I'm inert to argue about that.

Overall, this is a fair piece of a split. It has both of the relaxant and dramatic sides. Unfortunately, it's limited within 13 minutes and made me lust for more, but perfectly suiting the mood. If you've ever come across bands like "Inverna, Wedard, Sieghetnar, Wehmut, etc..." and found them on the same path as yours, then this split is what you need; a totally suitable piece for you if you're willing to drift your thoughts into a journey of bleak visions. If you're willing to release yourself from the cage of reality, then this is the right remedy for you.