What can I say...? - 90%

Bj_1, November 2nd, 2006

Mike Patton formed Fantômas right after the Faith No More break-up together with an excellent team of musicians, including Dave Lombardo from Slayer, Buzz Osbourne from melvins and Trevor Dunn who was a member of Mr. Bungle before they disbanded, all doing a faultless performance here.

This project is by far weirder and more psychotic than Mr. Bungle (which is saying a LOT), mixing metal with sound effects and vocal screams and noises from Patton, which Patton also did a lot with Mr. Bungle, only here it’s nearly all the time, backed up with the fairly metallic riffs. It’s very rapid and paranoid, and at first listen you haven’t got a chance guessing what comes next. The arrangements are fantastic, the metal and Patton’s shrieks flows well all the time and it’s an extremely well made album overall, though it doesn’t show any emotion; this is pure madness on plastic.

There are 30 tracks here, and the total playing time is 42 minutes. So most of the songs are pretty short, usually around a minute and a half. This album is a concept album, as you can notice inside the booklet, a sci-fi/crime story. Actually, the music is very fitting if you look on these pics and listen to the album at the same time. The album has a rather dark mood over it, especially in the quieter parts here, which usually are containing more weird sound effects and Patton at his most creepy. You might have a few shocks when you are listening to this too, you’ll never know what’s next here.

Of course, this isn’t for everyone, it’s incredibly inaccessible overall and many people might consider this as trash, but if you like metal and avant-garde at it’s most unusual, AND are open-minded at the same time, this is something for you. If not, get lost! You won’t have a chance!! Trust me! And if you didn't like this, don't even bother trying their other albums.

Me personally, love it. 9/10

WTF?? - 50%

caspian, May 5th, 2005

Having heard various people sing this record's praises, and being a big fan of Mike Patton's work in General, I thought I'd just go ahead and buy this album, without previewing any tracks. I should've previewed some tracks, because this is one of the weirdest things Mike has ever put his voice too. It's also one of the worse.

To get a good feel for this album, just throw around some metal riffs (some which are pretty decent, there's no doubt about that.) Add some weird sound effects, and get Patton to Babble insanely other all the tracks. While this kind of formula might work well for a 20 minute EP or something, It does not work for a full album. The riffs are all fairly similar, and while Patton does do some absolutely amazing stuff, from ultra high screeches to brutal growls, the fact that he doesnt sing a single lyric really drags this record down.

So in conclusion, this record is a joke. Incoherent Gibberish, random guitar playing and no structure. The only thing that saves this record from a complete and total panning is that the Vocals are full of "How the hell did he do that" moments, the guitar riffs are occaisonally good, and the drumming has the occaisonall great bit. Get this if you're a huge Patton fanboy, otherwise, avoid like the plague.

Their Best Work Yet - 99%

dep_neurosis, March 7th, 2004

This album is simply astonishing. With the concept of a comic book in mind (ie. Page 1, 2, 3 etc.) Patton has once again made a great piece of art. While there are no actual words spoken on this album, Patton's vocal noises are sometimes catchier than words, and will have you "singing" along to them. There is a great Boredoms influence on Patton, yet he doesn't copy, he advances much further in the ways of vocal experimentation. There are 30 songs on this album, which clocks in at about 45 minutes, therefore some songs are short yet powerful blasts of experimental metal.

Patton isn't the only great musician to grace us with his presence on Fantomas, as there is also former Slayer drummer, Dave Lombardo, Melvins guitarist King Buzzo, and Patton's Mr. Bungle buddy Trevor Dunn on bass. With is line up like that, there is no doubt that Fantomas is in fact, a supergroup, and this is definately a super album. A great place to start for new fans, and a classic for any fan of any artists present on this album.

*note* Some refer to this album as "Amenaza al Mundo"

The Fantomas Experience - 90%

ZuSNick, September 18th, 2003

This is partially a concert review, but I choose this format because it totally helps to describe the feeling behind this album:

It was November of 2001, and I was on my way to a Tool show with my friends Chris and Jay. We heard that the opening band was going to be Fantomas, and that it included Dave Lombardo from Slayer and Mike Patton from Faith No More and Mr. Bungle. While I hadn't really ever heard either band at that time, I had heard that Mike Patton was a very unusual musician, and that Fantomas was a strange band... that's all I knew. The lights went out, the crowd cheered, and 4 people walked onto the stage. What we heard was something I had never even imagined was possible. In my strangest dreams and most horrific nightmares I never would have even fathomed that music like this could exist. There were loud guitars, odd sound effects, near absence of time signatures, and the shrieks, growls, yells, and sometimes even singing of Mike Patton. I wasn't sure if I liked it.
A few weeks after the show, I became so curious to hear them again that I went out and bought both of their CDs. Their self-titled (well, usually listed as self-titled, but actually called "Amenaza Al Mundo") album brought me right back to the show. The first track threw me off as it had 60 full seconds of just cymbal tapping, but once track 2 kicked in and I heard Mike Patton's familiar shrieks, I felt like I was in the Hartford Civic Center again. The CD is extremely dark, in my opinion, and the music is way more shocking than any controversial death metal band with ridiculous gory lyrics. But Fantomas also does have their comical side, what with all the silly noises Mike Patton can make with his voice, hitting the highest high tones and lowest low growls. If you think your collection of black metal and viking metal bands is the most obscure and unusual music around in the metal scene, think again.