Beautiful. - 90%

broomybroomybroomy, April 12th, 2012

I first heard this band's Leper Colony album and I wasn't all that impressed. It was pretty lame run-of-the-mill (albeit tolerable) deathcore. For some reason, I continued to dig deeper into this band and was able to listen to The Harvest Wombs, and I must say that it was a vast improvement. They ditched the deathcore act altogether and went with a progressive death metal approach. I'm glad I gave them another chance, because this album is extremely good. This album has a very atmospheric and jazzy sound, that gives off a kind of sci-fi feel. I would compare the sound to Cynic, The Faceless' "Planetary Duality," or even Obscura-- but it still is drastically different. Fortunately, it's even farther away from the ear-raping techdeath bands that plague metal, like Brain Drill or Beneath the Massacre.

The album starts off with "Alpha Incipient," a song that starts off with a pseudo-black metal riff that feels like a crescendo to the following tracks. Halfway through the song, they begin transitioning between spacey, melodic passages and fast, choppy riffs.

The guitarists are very proficient with their instruments, and they demonstrate this often. There are a lot of quick, smooth solos that accompany melodic riffs throughout the album, between the brutal riffs. The drummer plays at hyperspeed alongside the guitars, and never gets stale. The bass isn't really audible, but I don't think a prominent bass is necessary for this type of music. The vocalist has some good highs and some good lows, and that's all I can say about that; he doesn't have a voice that ruins the rest of the music so that's good enough for me.

There aren't many bad things I can say about this album, but unfortunately, at very few points, the songs kind of run together. However, if you listen long enough, they begin to separate once again.

There are two instrumental songs, "The Flame Surreal" and "The Harvest Wombs." The former is beautiful, but surreal; it is a song where the lead guitar really shines. The latter is a much more epic song, which is, of course, the song after which they named the album; it was intended to define the album itself.

Because of this album, Fallujah has become an up-and-coming metal act that is taking metal in a very good direction. If only most bands that started out mediocre ended up being this extraordinary. Fully recommended.