This is the best power metal you will ever hear - 100%

IchWillFicken, October 8th, 2003

This album is in stark contrast to the overdone keyboards, castrated singing, and horrible riffing of most popular power metal *coughblindguardiancough*. I listen to a lot of power metal, and there is no other band who has a sound even remotely similar to Falconer. This is in large part due to the amazing vocals of Mathias Blad. There are so many vocalists in power metal who sound de-balled, but not Mathias. He has a much deeper and fuller sounding voice than is commonly heard, yet he still has an excellent range. Even on the high notes, his voice doesn't sound forced, and still carries intense power and emotion.

The second thing that stands out is the guitar work of Stefan Weinerhall. There isn't a single boring riff on this album. I agree with a previous reviewer who said that the rhythm guitar sounds a bit "dirty", but this doesn't detract from the album, it instead adds to the sound. Another excellent feature is the way Weinerhall will go from a low chugging riff into a melo-death esque lead, and back again.

One thing that doesn't jump out at the listener is the drumming. Contrary to what you might think, this is not because the drumming isn't impressive, but because the vocals and riffing are so captivating, and the drumming fits so perfectly into the music, that it blends into the song for one euphoric musical enjoyment session. When you focus on the drums, the speed and timing of the double bass is very impressive. And I'm not talking the horribly overdone stuff like Stratovarius often abuses, this is very masterfully done.

I'm not one who really notices the bassline in music, but a few songs such as Heresy In Disguise and Entering Eternity really feature it in places. Again, I must point out that it isn't overdone or overprominent.

If I had to describe Falconer in one word, I couldn't do it. But if I was asked to descibe them in two words, I would say "Perfect balance." Nothing in their music gets drowned out, and nothing is too prominent. This album is the best example you will hear of how power metal should sound. If you shy away from the whole genre due to the cheese and fluff so abhorrently displayed by the so called best power metal bands, then this is the album for you.

Song highlights: The whole album, but if I had to pick, I'd choose Heresy In Disguise, Mindtraveller, Substitutional World, and Entering Eternity.